• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Boots required?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if there are real advantages to motorcycle boots vs a standard 8" leather work boot? I am all for safety, but I don't want to spend the money unless it is well worth it. Internet searches haven't delivered much.

I have both and the difference for me is MC boots have some abrasion protection for the outside of the ankle and are waterproof with breathable materials. But I've ridden many a mile in lace up hiking-type boots.

I wear m/c boots because of ankle and shin protection:

--Shin impact protection, and
--Both anklebone impact protection and the ankle support/bracing built into _some_ m/c boots.

For my previous style of bike and use, having replaceable sliders was also handy, because the toes tend to be the lowest-hanging part on a sport bike. I have caught the sole of some work boots on pavement during a hard lean before. Although no damage was done to me, the work boot soles try to grab the pavement, whereas the sliders on certain riding boots just glance off or slide.

As a general rule, you want something with somewhat hard soles, coverage over the ankles, and decent protection over the top of the foot.
I had high top tennis shoes on for a wreck and they actually protected me just fine, but I can see something piercing the sole or top of a shoe like that.
Work boots should be fine.

In addition to the above reasons, a good motorcycle boot should also have more torsional resistance. This helps to minimize the twisting of your feet. Also, while work boots have very good toe protection, they don't always have heel reinforcement. This helps reduce crushing injuries.

To me, preventing or reducing foot, ankle and heel injuries are more than worth the extra cost. I've broken my right foot in two separate crashes. The pain is one thing, but the impact to your day to day life with a foot injury is huge.

Last edited:
I do not think the difference is huge. The ankle bone and heel protection, and torque resistance.
Having said that, for off road or any high risk riding, boots with rigid tops are sure nice.

A "downside" to any boot with laces is that if the lace catches on a footpeg or other motorcycle hardware, and it prevents you from putting your foot down at a stop, you will fall over.

Last edited:
A "downside" to any boot with laces is that if the lace catches on a footpeg or other motorcycle hardware, and it prevents you from putting your foot down at a stop, you will fall over.

I about ended up on the ground at a stoplight on my Shadow because a lace caught. Not fun at all.

My opinion there is a big difference between my steel toe work boots and my TCX X-Cube street boots. Wouldn't feel near as safe in the work boots.....but the work boots would be better than tennis shoes.

In agreement with everyone so far. One addition for me with M/C boots is better feel of the shift lever over work boots - at least for me.

For me, I wouldn't expect to get adequate crash protection from a leather jacket from the mall or from a pair of mechanic gloves from the auto parts store. So, right or not, I believe the there's enough difference between regular work boots and motorcycle boots to warrant the purchase.

Even at similar prices, the work boots still lack some features I want, like ankle bone padding/armor, heel cups, and shifter padding. The deal killer for me is that work boots are sometimes too bulky and I have a hard time getting them comfortably between the footpeg and the shifter.

Workboots too bulky? I'm surprised. The steel toed boots have some issues but my regular boots do just fine. I suppose it will be something to investigate this winter to find a decent pair of boots. I just hate the idea of having to change boots in addition to all the gear I already wear. But such is life, I suppose.

Can anyone tell me if there are real advantages to motorcycle boots vs a standard 8" leather work boot? I am all for safety, but I don't want to spend the money unless it is well worth it. Internet searches haven't delivered much.

YES, it's worth it, for all the reasons that have been posted. I would recommend Alpinestars.

Good motorcycle boots are well worth the money for the added protection over work boots. I wore leather work boots for years while riding and only "tested" them once when I went down at just 15 mph. At that speed there was no real damage to them other than scuff marks but my feet got beat up enough to convince me that they offered no real impact protection. I could only imagine what would have happened in a high-speed crash or one in which my foot was caught between the bike and the asphalt while sliding. I ended up buying Forma Cape Horn boots and love them. They offer a lot of protection that work boots simply don't provide. Reinforced toe, reinforced heel, CE rated reinforced shin and ankle protection, rigid nylon mid sole with steel shank, full grain leather upper, waterproof, anti-slip rubber sole, Velcro and adjustable buckle closures. They did take some breaking in but the longer I have them the better they feel. Yes, they were expensive. Something like $270. I'm kind of a tightwad but when it comes to safety gear I will spend the money.

Last edited:
once you ride regularly with m/c boots, you feel unprotected by workboots and feel that shifting is not as shore with workboots.

most importantly, m/c boots have significant protection as everyone as advised.
i have always liked race oriented boots - the shifting is firm and the protection top.

however, for disclosure, i am a practitioner of atgatt - full face helmet, gauntlet gloves, armoured leather track suit, high track boots - even when i am just going up to the store - and this is my 1st non-sport bike.

I have two pairs of boots. One pair is black and I had a zipper installed in the sides and use them the most. They fit rather tight around the ankle and foreleg. Had a wreck some years back with them on and the bone never separated. My brown work boots are just leather but bit a little snug around the ankle and foreleg. Both have slip resistant soles. Motorcycle racers wore almost knee high lace up boots for years in the old days. Main goal is to have a comfortable sturdy boot that has a good slip resistant sole that fits a little snug on the foreleg. I've seen some MC boots that I would be afraid to walk across the ground with. To each his own. One reason I don't buy Harley Davidson boots is I don't want to pay half the excessive price for the name. All of them eventually get dirty and scuffed.

Back