• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thinking on another bike - Deaville or 700XD?

Mikee3544

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently I'm selling my 700S and looking for another bike
Options are : NC700XD ( maybe 750 but it is still pricey a bit )
NT700V - Deauville

What I do really need is good wind protection, nearly similar MPG
What I would really miss is the DCT.
Does anyone have any experience on the Deauville? I'm not thinking on another manufacturer or type. ST1300 is overpriced, sport type bikes not my kind, enduros also not. VFR800 is more powerful than the NC but it has a very limited market here( only a few and overpriced ) . VFR1200XD is way too big,I sit on it last week, had me hard times to get it on and off :)

So these are the options for me now.

PRos on the 700V are the fairings and the shaft drive(so-called maintenance free unless it has to be repaired. ) Cons are the lack of DCT and only 5 speed, higher MPG. And for that price ( about 5K ) the NT's are ~2008 model years, the NC's are from 2012-13.

700X series - you know it all.
I do not ride superbike style, but like the twisties. Only commute 2-3 weeks a year, but I mostly use it for longer trips abroad or countrywide. 95% ride on my own, sometimes two-up.

Were you thinking on these before buying the X version?

I really like the NC series frunk and DCT, but the lack of fairing, riding position and wind noise got me to this point.

If there is anyone of you who could help me with some suggestion or experience on this, I'd appreciate that!

est. prices :
700XD 2012-13, 5.5K-->
750XD 2014- 6.5K-->
NT700V ~2008 5K-->

ABS is a must have for me because of the combined brake system ( tested 2x in real-life situation )

/ I know the exact solution would be a go for a test ride. But the owners will not let me ( a stranger) take their bike to a test ride just to figure out, is it good for me or not /

What will You use the motorcycle for ? Recreation, commuting, touring ?

Is the CTX700 available in your country? It looks like it would fit your criteria quite nicely.

I wouldn't buy a NC700X if you are not happy with the NC700S. It is practically the same motorcycle just with slightly higher bars and suspension.

My vast experience on the Deauville consists of one test ride of about ten miles. It was a 2010 with about 17k miles on it. I was not impressed. It felt top heavy and a bit clunky, although the roughly 33% increase in horsepower over the NC700 was quite noticeable despite the Deauville's extra weight. And although this is purely subjective, I am not a fan of how it looks with those built-in side cases. From the rear it looks downright strange to me. Really glad I held off until I found my Nc700X. It feels much more nimble and looks much better to me.

Last edited:
90% touring, sometimes commuting

Ok, touring and a need for protection from the elements would for me, point directly at the Deauville. Afaik, there is little or no difference in HP but the NC would have better fuel consumption. I also believe the Deauville is better equipped to carry a pillion.

I have a 2010 NT700V (bought new, now with 60k miles) and a 2013 NC700X. The NC was bought from a friend with less than 800-miles on the odometer and it's now approaching 10k miles. They are quit dissimilar from each other.

The Deauville is a heavy beast and also top heavy with its steel fuel tank mounted high. The fairing and windshield offer good weather protection plus having integrated panniers makes it nice for trips. Mine is augmented with a Givi V46 top case and I've made several cross country trips on the NT. For more comfort, I added a Cee Bailey +2 tinted windshield and also had Spencer in FL redo the seat foam & shape. The short gearing and 5-speed makes the engine rev like crazy on the interstates but it doesn't seem to mind although fuel economy suffers. Riding on secondary roads, the NT can easily go 225 miles between fill-ups and of course with shaft drive, there is no maintenance other than changing final drive oil periodically.

Compared to the Deauville, my NC700X feels like a heavy dirt bike because of the laydown engine and fuel tank beneath the seat. I believe the weight difference between the two is around 60-pounds but it feels more like 100-pounds! This is especially noticeable when paddling backwards into a parking space or pushing it around my garage. Wind protection is nil so most riders add an aftermarket windshield. After trying several (!) windshields, I bought a Madstad and am fairly happy - the front of the NC is aerodynamically "dirty" so it's difficult to duplicate the still air pocket I have on the Deauville. I have a DCT model which is really a marvel and I love it. I had the seat redone by Spencer and have modified the suspension. Depending on the average speeds, the NC will usually go 200-miles between fill-ups. I dislike the 5-bar gas gauge on the NC and wish it had the analog type gauge as on the NT. Having the NC's final bar blink at you on E gives you absolutely no idea of how much range remains, especially when we don't know when it started to blink! I've taken some multi-day trips on the NC now so the routine of cleaning/lubing the chain after 350-400 miles isn't too bad. Besides the spray lube, I bring latex gloves and paper towels with me on trips. I've added Givi side boxes (33 ltr) plus have a waterproof bag I can sling over the passenger seat although that means it has to be repositioned at gas stops.

Both my bikes have ABS.

Last edited:
"I really like the NC series frunk and DCT, but the lack of fairing, riding position and wind noise got me to this point."

It looks to me like these are the three main reasons you are looking elsewhere.

1) Lack of a Fairing - Have you considered getting the attachable small side wind deflectors?
These might help alleviate issues of no fairing.
Maybe a forum member who has them can elaborate how much they help.

2) Riding Position - I would assume you want to be more upright.
If you wanted a more leaning forward position you would not have mentioned the Deauville as a replacement.
Try handlebar risers.
Rox has them that raise up and back like 2 full inches.
Plus, they even have an anti-vibe riser if you want to cut down on a little handlebar vibration.

3) Noise! - I would assume a nice bigger windshield would eliminate noise a lot and act a little as a fairing.
Not reaching very low on you but taking wind pressure and wind noise away from you.
This way you can retain your frunk and DCT.

These additions would not cost a big chunk and could make the NC the complete bike you are desiring.
My wife and I had a 2008 Yamaha Tour Deluxe we just loved.
But the seat was not good.
We ended up trading it in.
When we look at it now if we would have just invested $700 to $800 in a great seat we would still be riding our favorite touring bike today.
I just want to make you stop and think a little in case you really like the NC and would consider these couple upgrades verses a total trade in thing.

God bless!!

Michael

Thank you guys for the replies!
Helped me a lot!
Just a short conclusion : the 700S series have less fairings than the X. It is like a naked bike. Deauville is like a touring bike, like a smaller ST1300. It affects the wind protection.
When I bought mine there were no DCT model from the X series in 2012.
Madstad windscreen is a good option, thanks for noticing me, I'll look after it.
Handlebars cannot be risen, because of the DCT's wiring cable is too short. I tried a 2" riser, it didn't work.
This bike has a little sport-tourer riding position. I liked it for a while after the CBR250R, but now I need sg more convenient.
I sat on an X version, much wider and higher bars.
The frunk and the low center of gravity is a really great advantage over the others.

If I replace the windscreen, the complete handlebar and some wirings and the seat, for that much I can get another model.
I think, I'll look for an X version to replace my current S. Maybe a few month later or in the spring.
I'll let you know the result.

The NC700X has front & rear suspension that is 20-25 mm longer than on the NC700S and it can effect comfort. And naturally, it also makes the X a taller bike than the S.

Mikee:

Thanks for the info on the other bike.

I was not aware of all those differences.

Plus, it sounds like you have a lot of it under control.

Sounds as if you have checked into possible aftermarket parts that could have an effect on the issues you have.

Let us know what you decide.

God bless!!

Michael

I just sold a 2010 NT 700V. Owned it for 40 months. Put 25,000 miles on it with no problems. Rear wheel is difficult to remove due to the plastics. Saddle bag latches are not very good. I miss the wind protection from the full fairing and stock windshield with laminar lip. Power is about the same as the NC. The NT suspension is poor. Drive shaft is good. The NT is just OK, middle of the road, reliable bike. There is a NT700 owners.org forum is operated by a good guy (Joe Norris)who provides the st1300 owners forum also. . I sold the NT and bought a 2014 NC DCT. If the DCT was not available I would have kept the NT or maybe bought a FJ09. I was getting board with the NT

Finally, I met someone, who owns an NT700V. It was a real good condition bike, but damn heavy for me. The owner is about 240lbs(110kg), I' m only 140-150 lbs (65kg or sg like that ). The seat was lowered by 2cms, but it is too wide,I can only tip-toe. I'm 175 cm tall ( 5.8")
So I decided to pull it out from my list - although it is a realiable model and provides good wind protection, not to mention shaft drive.

Then I started looking for other bikes - only a sitting test.
Kawasaky Versys 650 ( 2008 ) - still big for me
Kawasaki_Versys_L_1.jpg

V-Strom 650 ( 2011--->) hardly tip-toe

FJR1300 ( it parked over there ) very good looking and nice bike, seat is too wide also, but nearly both feet on the ground, but it is too expensive
CBF1000 - very good bike, but a CBF600 would also be good. Both still is a sport-tourer, I want some more upright position.
Suzuki GSX-F650, also a sport-tourer, fits for my size but not my needs.
Suzuki-GSX-650F-2008-i01.jpg

Tested it for fun, a Yamaha MT03 ,little devil, nice looking city sportster. ( it was a Yamaha-Suzuki dealership, )
mt03_gris.jpg

so I'm still not figured out, which bike fits for my need/size.
I wouldn't sell the 700SD, it is well maintained, currently I use it for commuting. But for touring I'd need sg else. It would be funny, an other NC in the stable just for touring. So if I'd buy an 700XD or 750XD I wouldn't need the SD. But I don't want to spend 4-5K $ to get a nearly same bike as I have now. Meanwhile I have a Shadow on sale... so the story still goes on.
If only there was an NC based engine with a full fairing and it is not a scooter, like the Integra, I would have my bike!

Will be a nice run :)

Last edited:
Finally, I met someone, who owns an NT700V. It was a real good condition bike, but damn heavy for me. The owner is about 240lbs(110kg), I' m only 140-150 lbs (65kg or sg like that ). The seat was lowered by 2cms, but it is too wide,I can only tip-toe. I'm 175 cm tall ( 5.8")
So I decided to pull it out from my list - although it is a realiable model and provides good wind protection, not to mention shaft drive.

Then I started looking for other bikes - only a sitting test.
Kawasaky Versys 650 ( 2008 ) - still big for me
View attachment 30855

V-Strom 650 ( 2011--->) hardly tip-toe

FJR1300 ( it parked over there ) very good looking and nice bike, seat is too wide also, but nearly both feet on the ground, but it is too expensive
CBF1000 - very good bike, but a CBF600 would also be good. Both still is a sport-tourer, I want some more upright position.
Suzuki GSX-F650, also a sport-tourer, fits for my size but not my needs.
View attachment 30856

Tested it for fun, a Yamaha MT03 ,little devil, nice looking city sportster. ( it was a Yamaha-Suzuki dealership, )
View attachment 30857

so I'm still not figured out, which bike fits for my need/size.
I wouldn't sell the 700SD, it is well maintained, currently I use it for commuting. But for touring I'd need sg else. It would be funny, an other NC in the stable just for touring. So if I'd buy an 700XD or 750XD I wouldn't need the SD. But I don't want to spend 4-5K $ to get a nearly same bike as I have now. Meanwhile I have a Shadow on sale... so the story still goes on.
If only there was an NC based engine with a full fairing and it is not a scooter, like the Integra, I would have my bike!

Will be a nice run :)
This comes close but it is a cruiser form; it has the nc700 engine and has a fairing:
2016 CTX700 Overview - Honda Powersports

Back