• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Going Bigger

OneGun

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just got back from a long trip from Michigan to Wyoming and back on my old faithful NC. Mine's the original OG... 2012 manual trans...

I have to say it performed amazing. The friend I went with was riding a BMW GS 1100 (few years old) and the NC kept up for the most part just fine. Obviously, it doesn't have the acceleration of that big bike, but after that trip, I have a renewed love for my NC.

That being said, however, I'm now in a real mood to add to the fleet... I really want something big enough and powerful enough to take the wife with me. Neither of us are what I'd call skinny and I often pack heavy. I want to stick with the "adventure" bike platform, though. And just to be clear... I'm NOT selling my NC.. NEVER!!!

... just adding a big brother to the fam.

Right now, I've seen some of the new Kawasaki Versys and they look pretty good. I used to have a 2012 Vstrom 1000 as well and might look for one of those used.

Does anyone here have any experience/heard anything about the newer (2015 and up) Versys? Or what would you guys suggest I look at in addition to what I've mentioned?

Again, need something for 2-up long tours, but still keeping in the adventure family.

If I needed to carry a passenger around. I would also check out the S10. Shaft drive, cruise control and roomy.

Versys was on my short list prior to the NC, along with the Wee strom. The larger Vee wold probably also fit the bill. Both these bikes have rabid followings.

I have had the same thought many times and when things start looking up at Caterpillar I will feel more comfortable putting myself a little further in debt. My plan is to find a gently used ST1300. They are out there and I had to pass one up recently. It would be a great bike for cross country touring and has plenty of additional power. Additionally, you can purchase panniers and trunk for storage.

My second option would be the FJR1300. Someone on this forum has this bike and it is beautiful and powerful with optional storage.

Isn't the Vstrom 1000 a chain drive. This is coming from a guy who has rode CBR's his whole life but I'm about ready for something without a chain. Just a though. I spoke to a guy at a fuel pump the other day who was riding a new V-Strom. Beautiful bike but reminded me of a beefed up NC. I'm not sure I'd purchase something so close to what I already have. I think I'd venture out a little further from a similar model. It is a nice bike though. I was envious.

I have had the same thought many times and when things start looking up at Caterpillar I will feel more comfortable putting myself a little further in debt. My plan is to find a gently used ST1300. They are out there and I had to pass one up recently. It would be a great bike for cross country touring and has plenty of additional power. Additionally, you can purchase panniers and trunk for storage.

My second option would be the FJR1300. Someone on this forum has this bike and it is beautiful and powerful with optional storage.

Isn't the Vstrom 1000 a chain drive. This is coming from a guy who has rode CBR's his whole life but I'm about ready for something without a chain. Just a though. I spoke to a guy at a fuel pump the other day who was riding a new V-Strom. Beautiful bike but reminded me of a beefed up NC. I'm not sure I'd purchase something so close to what I already have. I think I'd venture out a little further from a similar model. It is a nice bike though. I was envious.

Yeah I was looking at the ST1300 and the FJR as well as possible options, but I used to have a 2012 Vstrom DL1000 which I sold and I just can't stop thinking about it. I think I'm going to try and find another used. That bike was amazing.

But there's an absolutely SMOKING deal on a black 2007 ST1300 here in Michigan on CL. Guy has something like 5k on a nice black 07 and he's only asking like $7,500. Has some nice extras too. However, I'm very bias toward the adventure platform, so I'll probably keep focused on the bikes that fit that description.

Missed an amazing deal on a very slightly used 2015 Versys 1000cc this week... very low miles, tons of amazing extras, and super cheap.

If the AT is not your cup of tea, I'd take a close look at the VFR1200X (aka Crosstourer I believe). Dealership had one just set up when I picked up my NC, very nice looking, didn't dare take it for a ride!!

If the AT is not your cup of tea, I'd take a close look at the VFR1200X (aka Crosstourer I believe). Dealership had one just set up when I picked up my NC, very nice looking, didn't dare take it for a ride!!

Oh yeah, I was already thinking about that. Priced a little high for what I want to spend, but definitely on the list. Shaft drive too. Very cool bike. Plus I'm a major Honda fan boy, so that might actually be my best bet.

Probably going to have to do a dealer tour in my area this weekend. Hope I don't sign any papers. Wife's blood pressure is already high... she senses the coming storm.

I'd also suggest checking out the super tenere. Hubby picked an es up when they came out and really likes it. I've ridden it a couple times and while it's definitely not a good fit for me, it seems well balanced and well put together.

The two bikes that you mentioned are good ones as is the Super Tenere also mentioned. I recently had a short spin on the latest incarnation of the 1000 Versys and it is a nice motorcycle. I liked its lightness by comparison with my Triumph 1200 Explorer. It gets good reviews over here and a member on the UK NC forum parted with his NC for one. He is also enjoying it. The Explorer is also an excellent motorcycle but not everyones cup of tea.

If it's a black ST it is NOT a 2007 those were digital silver. Probably a 2006.

I've had an ST, RT and a Tenere. For two-up riding it would be either the RT or ST before the Tenere. All will do it but others will do it better.

If you want to add a fantastic bike at a reasonable price the ST 1300 is the ONLY choice I would consider. The bike is a real mile eater and can be found cheaply. Some 2006s are going for as little as $6K with under 35K miles....those are basically brand new bikes.......and some are farkled!

Of course, the Versys 1000 and Vstrom 1000 would also work but would probably not be as comfortable for your pillion as the sport tourers. If my wife rode with me I would have to buy a Gold Wing. I don't think any other bike would work for her.
Mike

If my wife was going to sit on the back for any length of time the choice of bike (rear seat) would be largely hers.
Maybe I am just lucky because if she wants on I think it would be a Concourse. Go shaft!!!

I echo Bug Dr. There are plenty of choices out there and you have plenty to pick from, lucky you.

The ST1300 provides a great touring platform with enough sport to keep things interesting when the road gets twisty. Owners tend to be older and maintain their bikes well and load them up with farkles. STs are selling at $5000 to $7000 now and since the bike did not change much during it's production from 2003 to 2012 there are really no years more desirable over other years. 50,000 miles on a used ST1300 is nothing. I plan to see 200,000 on my 2005 model.

The Versys 1000 weighs about 550 and is comfortable for the pillion. It is very sporty.

The FJR is popular with long distance riders. I think it is about 650. I don't know how comfy the passenger seat is.

I test rode the VFR 1200 dct. Basically felt like a bigger and roomier nc700.

Last edited:

I, too, was looking at the ST1300.
Then I looked up "Sport Touring Comparison!"
Each camparo for the last like ten years has only once or twice involved the Honda ST1300.
BMW had at least one and often two bikes in it.
Yamaha has always been involved with the FJR1300.
Kawasaki was in with the Concours.
And Triumph had it's Trophy involved.
After a year or so the Honda ST1300 was not in it anymore.
They felt since it always scored so low they got to the point of not having it back in the comparison.
Back in 2014 The Kawi took 4th out of 4.
Yamaha slightly took second over the Triumph Trophy.
And the BMW K1600GL took first.
The BMW R1200RT did not make it there in time.
After reading this I was leaning towards the FJR1300 or the Trophy.
Cannot afford the BMW.
2014 Sport-Touring Shootout
Just a little to think about since I was thinking the same way.

Check out Motorcycles - Scooters, Dirt Bikes, Choppers, Sport Bikes, and Other Motorcycles for Sale - CycleTrader.com.

Some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

Back