• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

For those with Scorpion helmets using Rain-X

JDE

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Seen some debate lately over the use of Rain-X on the helmet visor to help with the rain. So since I've experienced some crappy weather lately, (fog and rain) and had visability issues with moisture beading up on the outside of the visor. I thought I'd check with the manufacturer as suggested on the bottle of Rain-X. Here's Scorpions reply:

John,

Thank you for contacting Kido Sports USA. We do not recommend using Rain-X products as it is meant for glass and can wear away the outer coating and also the face shield since it is polycarbonate.

If you have any questions feel free to call us at (888) 212-0688.

Thank you,

Richard Chang | Kido Sports USA | Technical Support
27 Rancho Circle Lake Forest CA 92630 | Scorpion Sports first in Innovation - motorcycle apparel - helmets - XDR
t: 888.212.0688 | f: 949.305.9991 | e: [email protected]

Thanks for taking the trouble to ask them. I'm not surprised at their answer. (I wonder if it is like the studies that show lab rats developing cancer after being fed sugar-free products? The quantities involved are so much that yes, it is possible. But not likely that a human would consume that much. But the companies have to still warn consumers.)

I only have about 45,000+ miles of RainX use on their Scorpion EXO-900 helmet visor. I probably need more use before it'll show anything detrimental. I do believe the RainX faded out the hi-vis yellow paint on the places where I used the RainX moistened towel on the bug splatters.

I would love to see a study done where they showed the actual effects of using RainX on visors. Till then, I will continue to use the RainX on the visor till the visor deteriorates enough to warrant buying a new visor. It'll be worth the money to have clear vision in constant rain till then.

Chris

Thanks for taking the trouble to ask them. I'm not surprised at their answer. (I wonder if it is like the studies that show lab rats developing cancer after being fed sugar-free products? The quantities involved are so much that yes, it is possible. But not likely that a human would consume that much. But the companies have to still warn consumers.)

I only have about 45,000+ miles of RainX use on their Scorpion EXO-900 helmet visor. I probably need more use before it'll show anything detrimental. I do believe the RainX faded out the hi-vis yellow paint on the places where I used the RainX moistened towel on the bug splatters.

I would love to see a study done where they showed the actual effects of using RainX on visors. Till then, I will continue to use the RainX on the visor till the visor deteriorates enough to warrant buying a new visor. It'll be worth the money to have clear vision in constant rain till then.

Chris

Good points. I may still use it anyways. New visors are cheaper than accidents due to poor visability.

O.K. guys I have been debating this for a few weeks now. I read that RainX is not good because what you already mentioned. The problem that I have is I cannot find anything else to use. RainX is available at any auto parts store and its cheap. Motosolutions puts out a product called Raincoat that is made for polycarbonate. I looked for this stuff but it seems its only available online. When I called the number listed a "salesman" answered the phone but I got a feeling he was selling the stuff out of his car. RainX seems to be the best bet and I think you guys are right I'll replace the visor when the time comes. My question is does RainX create a glare on the visor and has anyone used Raincoat by Motosolutions? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I've never noticed any glare on the visor. In fact, the clarity of the Scorpion visor is excellent...well, except when it rains. But there won't be many helmets that give excellent visibility in that case. :D

I crack the visor at the bottom to get some air movement inside to prevent fogging. It's enough that the water collecting on the seal at the top will fall through onto the back side of the visor. After a minute or so, it has run off and isn't an issue.

But I think you're definitely right. The cost of a new visor is far cheaper than one accident because you couldn't see. I never use any kind of thumb wiper because I don't need to. The outside is always clear (and the inside is pretty much too). A lady on another forum once said, "If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride in Seattle". It's a fact of life here.

BTW, Scorpion's Customer Service is excellent. I've used the helmet enough that the chin bar latch release has failed twice. They've sent an entire new chin bar with latch release each time. No cost to me.

Chris

Last edited:
Nice, I don't have a Scorpion helmet but I was wondering about the RainX on the visor. Where I live it is very foggy at times so this should help repel the water. I'm going to give it a try!

You know of course that any company is going to tell you not to use a product of any kind that they don't manufacture on their shields. Its a matter of marketing and C.Y.A. against law suits that may involve penetration or shattering of the shield, They don't want to get sued.

Nice, I don't have a Scorpion helmet but I was wondering about the RainX on the visor. Where I live it is very foggy at times so this should help repel the water. I'm going to give it a try!

Where in Cali are you Duke Nukem? I'm in Stockton. So I'm dealing with the fog as well lately. I commute on HWY4 to the east bay area for work so I'm really trying to find ways to increase visabilty in the foggy areas between Stockton and Discovery Bay.

I have always used Rain-x 2-in-1 cleaner plus rain repellent and rain-x anti-fog on the inside. Never noticed any change on my fulmer visor. I also used it on my goggles when I raced quads and never noticed anything.

Where in Cali are you Duke Nukem? I'm in Stockton. So I'm dealing with the fog as well lately. I commute on HWY4 to the east bay area for work so I'm really trying to find ways to increase visabilty in the foggy areas between Stockton and Discovery Bay.

I live in Santa Maria, I don't need to commute to far but the fog in the morning is thick.

Back