• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone tried to retro-fit Honda's ABS to a non-ABS NC700X?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the gee-whiz aspect of the DCT just fine, but I don't especially want the transmission itself, and I _really_ don't want to pay $2,000 for it, but I'd _REALLY_ like ABS. Since American-market NC's are both or neither, I'm wondering whether anyone knows about retro-fitting the factory ABS. Is it possible? Obviously the bikes can run ABS without the DCT, else all the Canadians, Europeans, and perhaps Asians (IDK) wouldn't be able to ride their bikes. :) What would it take to retro-fit an American-market bike, though?

Most or all of the parts are available and would fit, but it would be a huge undertaking to install and you would have a fortune in it at spare parts prices. The modulator alone is $1,180 (discounted) and the total parts bill is over $2500 when you add in the proportioning and delay valves, hard pipes, manifolds, hoses, wiring harness, and front brake caliper and pads.

This is only what you can see. There may be other differences which cannot be seen such as differences in the instrument unit.

Or would it be easier to have an abs model and have it removed over having a non abs model and having it installed?

I've got a "solution".
Train your fingers in the right hand (brake) to pump quickly 10 times per second....there you have it.
Manual ABS.
:p

PS: I read somewhere long ago, those who ride without ABS is somewhat safer than those who has (or thinks they have).
It's like a bullet vest, the policeman wearing one is braver.
:D

No sensible rider relies on his/her ABS to keep them out of trouble but it sure is good to have if they do get into it. I know of at least occasion when it saved me. After all unlike some I'm no riding God just an average rider

Back