• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

N.GA NCX_travaganza Meetup- TBD

Ride Planning: On or Off road?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DCTFAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Two Wheels of Suches, GA Meetup

When: August 13, 2016
Time: 10:30 AM
What: Annual Gear Swap at TWoS
Ride: The GA Gauntlet

10:30A is when we should head north to cooler temps,
if you want to browse the flea mkt, come early.

X-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-XX-X-X
old post below: disregard.
Hoping to organize a ride through the beautiful North Georgia Mountains.
June target date should give everyone enough time to pencil in one day of riding.

I've sent friend requests for some using the member location map but sure there's
lot more of you out there. If you know anyone that may be interested in joining, pls
tell them to come and admire multiple NC700X in action.

I'll do the easy part, set the date of June 4th, 2016 (Saturday).
We'll meet at Two Wheels of Suches (TWoS) at 9:30AM KSU 10:00AM sharp.

Ride will be street only for the first meet.(no gravel)

Reply to thread or just make it to TWoS on time.

Last edited:
That sounds like a lot of fun. It's going to be a tight turn around if I can make it. I'll be coming in from TN around midnight on the 3rd and TWOS would be a good little trot on the morning of the 4th. I love the idea and want to be there, but if I don't have it in me that morning I hope you'll understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 week turn around from next weeks 'return to the dragon' I cant do :( Also got a neighbors cookout I have already committed to and my daughter's bday on the 4th...too much riding-too little time :(

Just seeing this. I'd be interested except that I will be unavailable that week. If you can notify me of future rides near the NC-GA-SC border I'd appreciate it.

Hoping to organize a ride through the beautiful North Georgia Mountains.
June target date should give everyone enough time to pencil in one day of riding.

I've sent friend requests for some using the member location map but sure there's
lot more of you out there. If you know anyone that may be interested in joining, pls
tell them to come and admire multiple NC700X in action.

I'll do the easy part, set the date of June 4th, 2016 (Saturday).
We'll meet at Two Wheels of Suches (TWoS) at 9:30AM KSU 10:00AM sharp.

Ride will be street only for the first meet.(Maybe a little gravel depending on consensus)

Reply to thread or just make it to TWoS on time.

That sounds FANTASTIC (unless their's gravel, LOL). I'd like to try and join ya?

Sorry, but I'm new around here. Where can I find this member location map you're talking about?

That sounds FANTASTIC (unless their's gravel, LOL). I'd like to try and join ya?

Sorry, but I'm new around here. Where can I find this member location map you're talking about?

Its one of the blue tabs across the top of the page labeled "Member Map".
Ssh this will be our secret! Not many know about it, let alone use it.

That sounds like a lot of fun. It's going to be a tight turn around if I can make it. I'll be coming in from TN around midnight on the 3rd and TWOS would be a good little trot on the morning of the 4th. I love the idea and want to be there, but if I don't have it in me that morning I hope you'll understand.

How 'bout just camping at TWoS?
I'll be there early and buy you and everyone else coffee!

So what's the story on camping at TWoS? I used to stop by while out on a day ride but it's probably been 10 years since I was there. It would be easier for me to come up Friday for a Saturday ride.

I always liked their open door policy for camping or trailering in. There is ample parking across the creek.

Rates
Tent Camping is charged by the tent. $15.00 One tent, one person, per night. $7.00 for each additional person in same tent, per night. Firewood is available for purchase. Note: Reservations are not required for tent camping. If you arrive during hours when the lodge is closed, please use the sign-in forms in the box on the front porch.
Camping is self serve. Please call with any questions:
(706) 973-1671

If everyone is in agreement, we will do the "Gauntlet" loop: 134 miles / 4 hour of smiles.
Most likely with traffic and fuel stops, this will be a full day ride and you should plan accordingly.
After the ride, I am planning on camping at TWoS for the night.

The Gauntlet :: Full Screen
Starting from TWoS we will take Wolf Pen Gap to warm up the tires, turn right on 19/129S, left to 75AltN onto the Richard B Russel Pkwy
then right onto 180 towards Brasstown Bald then north on 17/75 to Macedonia/Hiawassee, 76 down to Young Harris and take 66 to Gumlog Rd.
head west to Ivylog and onto Nottelly Dam Rd.S to Blueridge Hwy and take Skeenah Gap to Hwy60 back to Suches.

Good advice about Wolf Pen Gap (aka GA Dragon).
With the good weather, there are also many bipeds enjoying the roads.
Let's be careful and ride your own ride.
If you are joining us and you have not done many group rides, pls PM me
ahead of time.
I was thinking about a quick lunch at Mary Ellen's Southern Grill in Young Harris (1 1/2mi west of Hiawasse)
Depending on our progress that day, we will make a shortcut down Blue Ridge Highway from Blairsville saving us 30 min.

PS. MEllen's has an ATM$$$ machine and they only like cash. No plastic.
I would say, old fashioned just like their food.

Last edited:
Weather looks to be crap at this point so if the forecast remains, I'm out.

Edit: yup weather sucks I'm bailing.

Last edited:
My forecast shows intermittent clouds.
See y'all tomorrow!

I'm going to have to cancel out on this ride. Too many things on the to do list, not to mention the back tire seems to be just about out of tread. Never seen a tire go away so fast.

Well, now that I'm back home, showered and ready to fix some supper, let me just tell you all what a great time you missed. DCTFAN and I met up at TWOS, had a cup of coffee, and hit the road around 10:00 this morning. I almost missed it because I accidentally left my NC keys in one of the work vans and had to track it down this morning. That really was an adventure in and of itself.

Anyway, with the help of his handy dandy gps, Mike got me sufficiently lost. We did lots of twisty roads and then the pavement ended and so began my first forest service road adventure. We rode for what seemed like forever on the dirt and rocks until, like a mirage in the desert, there was fresh, clean, smooth pavement once again. After a nice lunch back at TWOS, I had to tap out and call it a day. The clouds were beginning to move closer and I really was exhausted from all the amazing riding.

When I got home, I checked Eat Sleep Ride and I had covered just a tick over 190 miles. On the ride home, I got hit with the lightest of sprinkles, but it wasn't even enough to get out the jacket liner.

Thanks to DCTFAN for putting together a great ride. Maybe next time more folks can make it. I look forward to meeting more folks from the forum soon.

Back