• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for another bike

jggassert

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for a new bike. Not getting rid of the NC. She will remain my primary commuter bike. But I want something that I can do some serious two up touring with.

What I've looked at.

Goldwing- most comfortable and most expensive. Oh so very expensive

CTX1300- comfy but will require some add ons. Top case etc.

Concours 14- comfy, powerful, but will need some ad ons to make it what I want, top case etc.

Vulcan Voyager 1700- big, no ad ons needed immediately. I feel a little cramped on it though (I'm only 5'10" with a 34" inseam)

Kawasaki offers the best warranty-- 3 years and the extra 3 year extended warranty for a few hundred more. Covers everything mechanical and electronic as long as I don't do any crazy mods to the factory setup.

Does anyone else have experience with the Vulcan Voyager? Wondering if it's just me not being used to the seating position that I feel cramped.

Primum non Nocere

Did all my serious two-up touring on an ST1300 and a ZG1000 (old style Concours) before that. 5'7"/30" inseam here but these bikes are well suited for 'taller than me' riders. Both required an aftermarket top case (Givi) but it was money well spent for the storage space. Good luck on your search.

Dscn0025.jpgIMG_0023.jpg

Kawasaki offers the best warranty--
The Goldwing warranty is probably the best. Factory 7 year warranty with unlimited miles. No other manufacturer offers that. Will cost about $500.

My suggestion would be to buy a used GW, about 2 years old and save $5,000. Add the factory extended warranty for another 4 years/unlimited miles.

The GW will also have the highest resale by far, so the actual cost will probably be the lowest of the bikes you mentioned.

Good luck in your search!

The Goldwing warranty is probably the best. Factory 7 year warranty with unlimited miles. No other manufacturer offers that. Will cost about $500.

My suggestion would be to buy a used GW, about 2 years old and save $5,000. Add the factory extended warranty for another 4 years/unlimited miles.

The GW will also have the highest resale by far, so the actual cost will probably be the lowest of the bikes you mentioned.

Good luck in your search!

I am glad I asked. The dealer today told me The GW only comes with a 1 year warranty. I hadn't looked into it myself. For an extra grand (rounding up) I can get the extended warranty. Compared to $700 for the Kawi.

Now you got me thinking more on the gold wing. Sweet baby Jesus was that comfy. My dad had one when I was a kid and loved it as a pillion.

Did all my serious two-up touring on an ST1300 and a ZG1000 (old style Concours) before that. 5'7"/30" inseam here but these bikes are well suited for 'taller than me' riders. Both required an aftermarket top case (Givi) but it was money well spent for the storage space. Good luck on your search.

View attachment 29234View attachment 29235

I really wish they'd redux the ST1300. I think they tried with the CTX1300 but not so sure the world was ready for that fairing.

I am glad I asked. The dealer today told me The GW only comes with a 1 year warranty. I hadn't looked into it myself. For an extra grand (rounding up) I can get the extended warranty. Compared to $700 for the Kawi.

Now you got me thinking more on the gold wing. Sweet baby Jesus was that comfy. My dad had one when I was a kid and loved it as a pillion.

Sounds like you're looking only at new Goldwings. But, you can get one 10 years old for half the price of new. They have changed the bike very little since 2001, and whether it's an '01 or a '16, it's still going to last a long time.

By the way I have a Goldwing 1800 that I bought used. Over 10 years later it's still listing on Nadaguides for 2/3 of what I paid for it. I've had no trouble with it and I intend to keep it forever.

I wouldn't worry about an extended warranty with a new Goldwing. That's why the warranty is cheap; they don't break. The warranty company is still going to make a killing off of it. There have been a few safety recalls over the years, but they rarely break and need unexpected service. Mine has 56,000 miles, it's never let me down, and the valves have not even needed adjusting. Oil change every 8000 miles like the NC. Tires are expensive, but the warranty won't help you there.

Last edited:
I thought that was amazing how the valves don't even move on the gold wings I met a guy who had gone back and forth across the country five or six times had a hundred and sixty something miles, he said he checked them three times and they hadn't moved so he hasn't checked them sense. The only thing that went out was the water pump after 130k miles. I would definitely get one if it was in the budget

I've pillioned a long day on the goldwing and it was very nice. I've also pillioned a few long days on my dad's BMW RT, which wasn't quite as comfortable for me, but he got it used for less than I spent on the NC. Maintenance costs are obviously higher for that beast though.

If you get the Voyager you will have to purchase an aftermarket seat. Good engine, but seat not so good. If you purchase a Goldwing newer than 2006 you will not have to get aftermarket seat. Good seat after 2006. Before 2006 for Goldwing, you will have to purchase a aftermarket seat.

Last edited:
If you get the Voyager you will have to purchase an aftermarket seat. Good engine, but seat not so good. If you purchase a Goldwing newer than 2006 you will not have to get aftermarket seat. Good seat after 2006. Before 2006 for Goldwing, you will have to purchase a aftermarket seat.

Interesting. I've talked to a few voyager owners, before I sat on one and they had nothing but great things to say about the seat. 500-700 miles per day no problem.

After sitting on one I just feel like there's not nearly enough leg room. A new seat isn't going to fix that.

I don't know much about the bikes other than just basic curiosity but... have you checked out a Victory Vision?

2016 Victory Vision Motorcycle - Black : Features CA

I really liked the unique styling.

I sat on one. This particular dealer...just the closest one (not my preferred) puts price tags on every bike in the showroom except the victories and that kinda scared me off.

But the crash safety features on the victory are incredible. Pretty much has every other feature I want.

I am glad I asked. The dealer today told me The GW only comes with a 1 year warranty. I hadn't looked into it myself. For an extra grand (rounding up) I can get the extended warranty.
You can get the factory extended 4 year warranty on sale for much less than $1,000. You also don't have to purchase it until the original 3 year unlimited mileage warranty expires.

Example: You purchase a used 2012 Goldwing for $15K that was sold new in June 2013. That bike will still be eligible for an extended <factory> 4 year unlimited mileage warranty, covering defects all the way to May, 2020 (!) My NC which I bought in April, 2014 is covered by Honda until 2019 (with unlimited mileage!).

If you go this route, make sure you get all previous maintenance records so you don't have any issues if you ever have to make a warranty claim.

I've owned a 2003 GW (bought new) and both a 2005 and 2008 that I bought used. I would never, ever buy a new Goldwing again. There are just too many low-mileage garage queens out there for sale that will save me thousands and thousands of dollars. Toss in the security of a factory unlimited mileage warranty the idea of buying used becomes pretty compelling.

I better stop, I'm starting to talk myself into one!

Happy motorcycle shopping!

Last edited:
You can get the factory extended 4 year warranty on sale for much less than $1,000. You also have until the original 3 year unlimited mileage warranty expires. Example: You purchase a used 2012 Goldwing for $15K that was sold new in June 2013.

Happy motorcycle shopping!

I will have to expand my search radius. I haven't found a used (2012 and up) GW for less than $20k around me. If I could find one for $15k that'd be perfect.

I will have to expand my search radius.
Indeed

Posted about a week ago...

2012 Goldwing 1800

AM/FM/XM surround sound radio, GPS, heated hand grips and seat, new tires and serviced, Hyper-Lite LED flashing break lights, CB antenna (no CB), full cover w/bag, exhaust turndown tips, LED accent multi-color lighting w/remote control, 2 American flags on antenna mounts, 3 pc saddlebag liner bags, passenger arm rest with cup holder, cup holder an cell holder, highway pegs, LED fog lights, chrome lower cowl housing, brake light conversion for trunk lights, drivers adjustable back rest, blue/silver color, 10,710 miles. 1 owner, xxx-xxx-xxx $14,900 or make a reasonable offer.

That bike sold within a few days...I recently passed on a same year (2012) with ABS and 26,000 one-owner miles for $900 more (asking $15,800)

They are out there...

Last edited:
My only input is what kind of riding you are going to do.
Goldwing if cruising lazily in the right lane.
Concourse if anything in the left lane.
I had a 90s Concourse. If it had a Honda DCT I would have bought it instead. The heck with gas mileage. :p

All IMO of course. If the GW fits you and the way you ride, go for it.

If the bike don't fit, don't buy it. I wasted two years trying to make my dream bike, a 1995 Honda Pacific Coast, work for me. No matter what I tried I could not make the bike ridable for more than a couple of hours. I rode the PC home from the dealer on a two and a half hour ride in the rain thinking "I can make this work, I can make this work." I couldn't, I sold it for what I paid for it and moved on to the NC.

Back