• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

is anybody ordering DCT? - better reconsider...

Honda has a ton of experience now with the DCT, first on the VRF in 2010 I think? I would be very surprised if this was a mechanical fault.

so you're suggesting the guy has pulled the wheelie in the middle of busy city on purpose??? and water in the switch is not mechanical fault??? come on.
BTW there is report of another incident like this. Really scary, it has cure me from wanting DCT or automatic transmission of any kind.

The rider was freaked out because he didn't have a clutch to pull in when the DCT reportedly rev'd the engine high and then dumped the clutch. But he did still have control of the throttle, as I understand. A normal reaction to unexpected high revs would be to close the throttle.

A similar scenario can play out with new rider on a manual tranny who misses a shift, then grabs the next gear in an uncontrolled manner.

Does new AT CRF1000 DCT has Electronic Throttle Control which would explain (very rare) sudden unintended acceleration?
If not, it looks more like throttle linkage control failure, maybe with "little help" of dealer's service.
Easy to fix.

Two unrelated issues (Throttle - right side) (water in left H/Bar switch) & right after being serviced by a dealer!! I have more suspicions of the dealer than the bike!!

Does new AT CRF1000 DCT has Electronic Throttle Control which would explain (very rare) sudden unintended acceleration?
If not, it looks more like throttle linkage control failure, maybe with "little help" of dealer's service.
Easy to fix.

no, AT has no fly by wire throttle and that's why it's so "interesting" how that could happened...
This was experienced rider.

How long has this DCT been out? since 2012? How many on this forum have the NC with DCT? i would think if this was a common problem it would be all over the internet.
That story in op is the first time i saw something like this happening.

The explanation of loss f oil pressure and then regaining it makes sense to me. As far as the throttle goes I have missed a shift before and the revs can get pretty high for an instant. During I back off the throttle re-select the correct gear and continue. My DCT shifts and clutches awfully fast the 700 is too gutless to pull the front wheel but the AT has a lot more power and just might do it especially if the operator in the confusion of an unexpected lift rolled on the throttle.

My guess is low oil level, (just serviced) screwed up clutch operation and high throttle was operator error. We'll see.

If I am not mistaken the NC is second generation DCT and the Africa Twin third generation. Possible something amiss in updated design, but I am not concerned to keep riding mine.

as far as I heard new nc700x/750x will get same third gen DCT. Maybe just they added besides sport mode also wheelie mode ? :cool:

Reminds me of the Audi unintended acceleration fiaso. I remember seeing a parking garage with a sign that said "No Audi 5000's". I also remember owning one at the time and it plummeted in value. Granted Audi mishandled the situation from a PR perspective but I never saw how it could have happened, other than the brake and accelerator of the Audi were close to the same level and you could use a "heel and toe" technique for performance driving. The American sleds had the brake pedal about three inches higher and the pedals had more separation. I think the lady who ran over her kid hit the gas thinking it was the brake. I know from owning one that there is NO WAY the 5 cylinder motor overpowered the hydraulic disc brakes. Now everyone gets brake/transmission locks.

I guess what I am saying is that I would not rule out a bone-headed maneuver. I've done so many myself with cars, motorcycles, tractors, airplanes, chain saws, you name it. Just from being tired, distracted, or maybe having a stupid/clumsy day.

Internet hysteria.

I'd have to know the person who initially posted a lot better before I give his report a shred of credibility.

There is now a second reported case of the same thing happening - this other guy wasn't as lucky - his got away from him and crashed into another bike and rider (350 miles in). There is also a third case of a similar sounding incident on a very low mileage bike

For those that know the DCT, I was at a standstill in Drive. Tickled the throttle, off we go under 10mph suddenly it seems to find a false neutral, revs rise quick and high with loss of forward drive, then before I knew what was going on I was skyward. It seemed to reselect 1st gear and literally dump the clutch on me

it's not internet hysteria.

Back