• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Go West Old Men

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am reticent to post this, because I'm planning this trip, but my failing body may prevent it .... we'll see.

I am in need of a shoulder replacement (trying to hold off until November) and a knee replacement. (still investigating)

If I have one this year, which is likely, then I want to have the other in the same year in order to save about 4 grand in copays and deductibles. That means one of them in the summer and another in late fall. That also means being able to hold off that long.

I was originally planning a 10 day or so trip to Arkansas for the month of June, but one of my unnamed riding buddies asked how long I could get away this summer. I talked with SOQS and my girls and we figured I could do three weeks.

Ok...where do you want to go?

West...

How far...

Three weeks worth.

Well..i've gone into overdrive planning, but I know that the plan is flexible. I just needed to see how far I can go in the time. I've planned a route through Colorado and Utah. I don't want to trailer out, although that will save some time and wear and tear on me...I want the whole experience. I've actually found that I love the long rides home. I really get a lot of the Zen feelings then.

I've got a route in Furkot, but I haven't figured out how to put it up here yet.....

Drdub, I had a similar situation in that I scheduled two operations during the same year because my insurance (retired military) has an annual $3,000 cap. After the surgeries I paid 0 ℅ pays for the remainder of the year, sure helps.

Yeah my cap is 3500, but doesn't include a 1300 fee for each surgery and 72 for each PT session. PT adds up quick. I'll know more in April.

Yeah my cap is 3500, but doesn't include a 1300 fee for each surgery and 72 for each PT session. PT adds up quick. I'll know more in April.

I am certainly not making medical recommendations, but to tell you of my wife's experience. She had shoulder surgery about 2 years ago. Due to shaving off bone, they explained she had a year of recovery +/-. After a week of PT she decided not to go anymore. Each time a different therapist, and many times she got the comment "just do what you've been doing" as the therapist was walking away. She bought the things being used in therapy and did her own. It was cheaper and got better than expected results.

Thanks for the suggestion..
I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and I did the same thing once I figured out that the routine wouldn't change.

OK...lets stop talking about my health and start talking about the ride.

I think this link will show you the route I've planned as of today, March 10. The dots are supposed to indicate days and or planned stops or places I want to see, like Arches, or Zion. Overall, I need to average about 290 miles per day.

https://trips.furkot.com/board/7ysEON

Last night I was talking with wifey and attempting to explain why men need to do things like this trip. she talked about how much she would miss me and she expressed her deepest, undying love for me...

So...today I went out and bought her a Dyson vacuum cleaner. I think it worked.

The Route

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-11%20at%202.26.08%20PM_zpsryioezkw.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-11%20at%202.25.46%20PM_zpskvmkpb0u.png

Any advice or roads for crossing the plains? Oklahoma or Kansas. On the way out I'll be just south of Springfield, Mo. headed to Taos NM.
Looked at 400 and 160 for Kansas, 60 to 412 for Oklahoma.

I'm still debating whether or not to take camping gear on this trip. The national parks are already booked, when long days are planned or the weather forecast is bad, I will go cheap motel. I've never traveled out west. What do you think?

I'm still debating whether or not to take camping gear on this trip. The national parks are already booked, when long days are planned or the weather forecast is bad, I will go cheap motel. I've never traveled out west. What do you think?

Campsites are never a problem to find in the west. National monuments usually don't fill up until later in the day, many RV parks have tenting space, BLM and NF land everywhere, KOAs are nice but expensive and Corps of Engineer sites are frequent east of the Mississippi. I think there are almost 50 campgrounds within a 40 mile radius of me in Russellville, AR.....that doesn't include two national forests that allow camping anywhere you can find a flat spot.

If you need anything when passing through here send me a PM.

Have a great trip,
Mike

I spent the night in Russellville a couple of years ago. I was coming off the TAT. As I crossed I40, I saw a giant bolt of lightning that was way too close. I pulled into the first motel after the overpass

There is a lot of federal and state land in UT and CO where you can camp outside of campgrounds. There may not be toilets or picnic tables, but it's free and usually pretty peaceful.

Back