• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Taking the plunge--deposit down on a 2016 750x DCT

ChilliRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after test-riding a 2015 and seeing the improvements made to the 2016, including the introduction of the DCT in Canada, I now have a deposit down on a 750x DCT with delivery ??? May.

This will be my first-ever "NEW" motorcycle. I have always preferred to buy used because the value/$$ equation seems better that way, but there just aren't any used 2016's around gosh darn it!

Advice requested from the pros out there--should I take the Honda extended warranty? My inclination is (since it is a new bike) that it would be a good idea but I don't like paying for "air"--if you have purchased the extended warranty and used it, were there hassles in getting the bike fixed? How good is Honda about honoring the warranty?

Cheers,
Doug

My opinion is to never, ever buy an extended warranty on anything. But, many people do buy them, and companies make big profit from them. That's the reason they're offered. The warranty benefits them mostly, you not so much.

Congrats, Doug! :cool:

I'm with Greg on this, personally. I've only had grief when dealing with any kind of extended warranty (through work, not private) and to me, the hoops they make you jump through, and the billions of asterisks that always seem to apply as far as: "not covered because" just never make it feel anything more than they take your money, and then still won't cover what ever it was that went wrong...

Thanks guys, appreciated. I have read through all of the threads here and there don't seem to be many systemic issues with the bike so forgoing the warranty is likely a good call. Can't wait now to get the bike now that I have made the decision! Cheers!

My opinion is to never, ever buy an extended warranty on anything. But, many people do buy them, and companies make big profit from them. That's the reason they're offered. The warranty benefits them mostly, you not so much.

100% agreed, it's waste of money. If some bugs won't surface during 2 years factory warranty 99.9% chance they never will.

For frequent riders who put miles on, I feel you would shake out any significant defects in the one year warranty. Other major issues tend to be recall service bulletins that they cover too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went to the dealer today to firm up the offer and order the parts I want installed on the bike (DC outlet and OEM grips). Looks like delivery will be late April--can't wait! Sorry WK this one is MINE and I hope you get yours soon too! :cool:

Mods I have planned:
Engine guards (not sure which ones yet)
Shad top box (the one I like is an SH46 in black with an active brake light)
Aux lights (I am currently favouring the Skene system)

Cheers

I bought the 3 year extended warranty, yeah...... Never used a dime of it.....

But did you sleep better at night? I have life insurance that I am glad hasn't been cashed in :D

Ultimately I decided not to take the extended warranty and spend the money on farkles instead. I just need to ride the heck out of it in the first year!

But did you sleep better at night? I have life insurance that I am glad hasn't been cashed in :D

Ultimately I decided not to take the extended warranty and spend the money on farkles instead. I just need to ride the heck out of it in the first year!

Here's what I recommend for first farkles, mostly protection / maintenance so you don't trash your new bike when you drop it :)
Mainly things Honda probably should have put on the bike but didn't to make it cost less. You can bolt them to the bike in an afternoon with basic tools + torque wrench without having to take body plastics off.
If you can buy all this stuff from one source (TwistedThrottle / RevZilla etc...) you can earn points to make it all %5 cheaper in the long run, but I don't know what shipping to Canada is like.

Honda Cover - $99 - ProCaliber
Honda Center Stand - $130 - ProCaliber
SW-Motech Crash Bars - $240 - RevZilla
R&G or other Radiator Guard - $80 - RevZilla
PUIG Front Fender Extender - $50 - RevZilla
PUIG Rear Mudguard - $140 - RevZilla
BarkBuster Storm or VPS Hand Guards - $165 - RevZilla
Any 41mm front shock boot / dust cover - $50 - RevZilla
Neoprene cover for rear shock, R&G, make your own - Varies

Skid Plate - if you plan on going off road, I wouldn't when the bike is new, and not without the above.

I believe all the 2012-2015 parts should fit the 2016, but since very few people have one YMMV.

Here's what I recommend for first farkles, mostly protection / maintenance so you don't trash your new bike when you drop it :)
Mainly things Honda probably should have put on the bike but didn't to make it cost less. You can bolt them to the bike in an afternoon with basic tools + torque wrench without having to take body plastics off.
If you can buy all this stuff from one source (TwistedThrottle / RevZilla etc...) you can earn points to make it all %5 cheaper in the long run, but I don't know what shipping to Canada is like.

Honda Cover - $99 - ProCaliber
Honda Center Stand - $130 - ProCaliber
SW-Motech Crash Bars - $240 - RevZilla
R&G or other Radiator Guard - $80 - RevZilla
PUIG Front Fender Extender - $50 - RevZilla
PUIG Rear Mudguard - $140 - RevZilla
BarkBuster Storm or VPS Hand Guards - $165 - RevZilla
Any 41mm front shock boot / dust cover - $50 - RevZilla
Neoprene cover for rear shock, R&G, make your own - Varies

Skid Plate - if you plan on going off road, I wouldn't when the bike is new, and not without the above.

I believe all the 2012-2015 parts should fit the 2016, but since very few people have one YMMV.

Great advice Supertux! I will not be off-road or even much gravel with (thanks LBS) "Nessie". My bike will mainly be a commuter with some weekend rides on paved back road twisties.

Is there a reason for preferring the SW-Motech engine guards over others? My (limited) research tells me so far that all engine guards are a bit of a problem in that the tranny is still exposed.

Cheers, and thanks!

Great advice Supertux! I will not be off-road or even much gravel with (thanks LBS) "Nessie". My bike will mainly be a commuter with some weekend rides on paved back road twisties.

Is there a reason for preferring the SW-Motech engine guards over others? My (limited) research tells me so far that all engine guards are a bit of a problem in that the tranny is still exposed.

Cheers, and thanks!

The SW-Motech engine guards have a cross bar that connects each side underneath the radiator so they're arguably more secure and firmly attached than other brands that don't have this extra connection point. (eg PUIG / GIVI etc...)
However, I've heard of reports of the fender extender hitting this bar under extreme front shock compression, but I'd say if you're doing that with the stock fork you have much more to worry about than a $40 bit of plastic.

Whatever you decide to get look at the installation manual to make sure it will fit the 2016. Most places don't have their 'compatibility' lists updated for 2016, (nay 2015 even) but the basic shapes have remained unchanged since 2012.
I'd say most will fit because the frame and engine hasn't changed but there might be clearance issues with the 'more aggressive bodywork styling'...
http://www.revzilla.com/assets/0001/1326/swmotech_crash_bars_honda_nc700_x20112014.pdf

You might want to also consider the Honda Light Bar as well, although not designed for crash protection it is far cheaper to replace than the upper fairing plastics.
Plus it looks cool and when you get into electronic farkling, adding extra front lights is a good option.

As for the exposed tranny that's still somewhat of a weakness as the crash bars protect the forward parts only. You might be able to find a bolt on spool or something, but I would caution against replacing too many of the
engine case bolts with aftermarket things. Use a torque wrench if you start going this route. Some parts exist for covering up the engine sides (R&G has a stator cover) but check to see that they work with the DCT.

One more thing I forgot: Consider adding a wider foot to the kickstand. AltRider makes one, so does Givi, and you can get away with a small square section of plastic / wood on a string in a pinch too.

Check the threads of 'I dropped my bike', and see what people are breaking and if there's a $40 upgrade you can buy that will protect a $400 part.
Common busted parts in falls are brake/clutch levers, cracked throttle tube, cracked mirrors, bent brake/shifter etc... But hey you got DCT so don't have to worry about left side drops too much. :)

Thanks again Supertux... I have ordered the WW-Motech engine guards and radiator guard from Motorcycle Innovations Canada, whose prices are competitive and who also offer free shipping in Canada. Those will be the first to go on the bike, and I will likely receive the parts well before the bike arrives :). I will likely employ the low-tech "block of wood on a string" since it will be so easy to store in the frunk :).

ChilliRider, let me know how you make out with the installs. One disadvantage of being an early adopter of the "new" 2016 model is that very few can confirm/ guarantee fit or compatibility! Apart from the change in upper Tupperware I think most mods will still work, but some for sure won't. One of the threads on here listed a change in p/n's for Honda's accessories, including the light bar. I'm sure that has to to with the new aggressive styling :p That said I'm interested in the SW-Motech crash/engine guards and a rad guard (make tbd) so look forward to seeing your mods.

ChilliRider, let me know how you make out with the installs. One disadvantage of being an early adopter of the "new" 2016 model is that very few can confirm/ guarantee fit or compatibility! Apart from the change in upper Tupperware I think most mods will still work, but some for sure won't. One of the threads on here listed a change in p/n's for Honda's accessories, including the light bar. I'm sure that has to to with the new aggressive styling :p That said I'm interested in the SW-Motech crash/engine guards and a rad guard (make tbd) so look forward to seeing your mods.

I can absolutely confirm the MOTECH engine guard fits the 2016 750X DCT, as well as the R&G Radiator Guard. Both are installed on my shiny new bike. Since the parts arrived before the bike did, I dropped off the parts at the dealer and had them installed as part of PDI so was able to pick up the bike ready to roll.

Cheers!

I can absolutely confirm the MOTECH engine guard fits the 2016 750X DCT, as well as the R&G Radiator Guard. Both are installed on my shiny new bike. Since the parts arrived before the bike did, I dropped off the parts at the dealer and had them installed as part of PDI so was able to pick up the bike ready to roll.

Cheers!

Good to know. I have both those parts (and more!) waiting to be put on.

I just got the 2016 Service Manual too, used from ebay, $25. :) Let me know if you need any info from there.

I haven't ridden in awhile, so while waiting for my bike I just did the MSF Basic RiderCourse for review (2nd time, in the rain, at night...) this week and scored perfect!

Now all I need is the bike, which I'm told is the week of 'May 9th', but maybe not due to the Japanese earthquake etc... we'll see.

Good to know. I have both those parts (and more!) waiting to be put on.

I just got the 2016 Service Manual too, used from ebay, $25. :) Let me know if you need any info from there.

I haven't ridden in awhile, so while waiting for my bike I just did the MSF Basic RiderCourse for review (2nd time, in the rain, at night...) this week and scored perfect!

Now all I need is the bike, which I'm told is the week of 'May 9th', but maybe not due to the Japanese earthquake etc... we'll see.
That's odd the 2016 service manual is found used on eBay before the bikes are in showrooms.

Back