• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Insulated Overpants?

OneGun

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure it's been brought up a million times, but I'm asking it again. Considering picking up some riding pants that I can use primarily to go over my work clothes (office casual) for commuting on chilly days. Looking for some pants that are very easy to get on/off, but also have good quality, some insulation, and maybe a bit of protection too. Not looking to spend anything north of $200 if that's possible.

Biggest needs of these pants will be ability to take the chill off and MUST BE EASY ON and EASY OFF... sorry for yelling.... thanks in advance.

What do you suggest?

I have a pair of fieldsheer over pants that've been working for me for a few years now. They have leg zippers almost up to the hip and a removable liner that adds a little warmth. I wish they were longer, but that's kind of the story of my life.

This is what I use. One piece insulated suit. More than the pants. They work. Amazon.com: Rothco Insulated Ski & Rescue Suit: Sports & Outdoors
OneGun, your profile states you live in Michigan, you probably can find a good suit on clearance for a snow mobile suit/ski suit/pants, which would be good on the bike from a local ski resort/dealer (if you have one nearby).

This is what I use. One piece insulated suit. More than the pants. They work. Amazon.com: Rothco Insulated Ski & Rescue Suit: Sports & Outdoors
OneGun, your profile states you live in Michigan, you probably can find a good suit on clearance for a snow mobile suit/ski suit/pants, which would be good on the bike from a local ski resort/dealer (if you have one nearby).

Not a bad idea, really, but usually on days I commute and it's chilly, it's only chilly in the morning. Then on the ride home, it's not so bad. So the pants are something I'd pretty much only wear on the way into work, then throw them in my backpack or something for the ride home. I'd still, however, like to have a jacket for protection and perhaps a bit of insulation on the way back later in the day. Good idea though, and I already have a few 1-sies!

I have the Tourmaster Flex pants. They have a mesh base with several zip in layers. I like them but they can be a little bulky with all the layers on. I've taken them down to 10 degrees with no problem at all

What about chaps? Does anyone go that route? I really need to buy some sort of pants/chaps, but I really want something that I can just rip off and throw in my trunk once I get to work.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

I wear overpants over my work jeans. On chilly nights (I work evenings) I just have a pair of sweat pants that are now too big (lost a bunch of weight) that I wear between the jeans and over pants. It works well enough.

For my riding pants I bought a size larger than I would normally need. When trying them on just put them on over my clothes. Good test to see how they would fit over my work clothes.

There is an advantage to to using motorcycle overpants over coveralls or ski pants because they typically include reflecting piping and reinforcement at the knees. I picked up a pair from Cycle Gear 3+ years back and have been very happy with them. They're nothing fancy (house brand) insulated & waterproof and have a removable inner liner which I took out on day 1 - Too Warm. Without the liner they fold up small - about the thickness of 2 pairs of jeans folded and stacked. I use these pants for winter commuting in temps from 20-50.

They currently list for $70 on close-out.
BILT - Typhoon Waterproof Motorcycle Pants - Textile - Pants - Street - Cycle Gear

-Saturday

What about chaps? Does anyone go that route? I really need to buy some sort of pants/chaps, but I really want something that I can just rip off and throw in my trunk once I get to work.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

I have chaps and Firstgear HT Over pants. I wear the chaps more because they are easy on/off and the pack smaller. The Firstgear HT over pants are more of a pain, but if in hard rain, I will use them.
A coworker bought some leather pants with full side zippers after I told him that's what I was wanting. He likes them a lot.
I like leather in the cold months but it's too hot for me in the summer.
I will be buying these when they are back in stock.

http://www.leatherup.com/mp/Mens-Xe...tionpage=/mobile/commerce/product/product.jsp

I have a pair of Olympia airglide 3 overpants. Now, these are hot weather pants because I'm an ATTGATT type of guy, but I found that with the rain liner in they're good down to 30 degrees (as tested this morning going 55-65 for 30+ min.). The advantage I found is that when I need cold weather protection I have it, and when I don't the airglides work great. They also make the stock seat significantly more comfortable.

i wear snowboarding pants. waterproof and windproof
I tried that when it was raining and my crouch was soaked by the time I got to work, only my crouch not my knees or butt our anything else just my crouch, that sucked

Back