• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

exactly which extras are needed for oem heated grips?

deedub

Reaction score
Visit site
The Honda website lists four accessories related to the heated grips:

1 - the Heated Grips themselves
2 - the Heated Grips Attachment Kit
3 - the Relay Kit
4 - the Subharness

#2 says "Required for installation of Heated Grips."
#3 & #4 say "Required for Accessory Socket and Heated Grips."

I read this to mean that I need all four items to install the heated grips, and ordered them all from the sales manager when I bought my bike. But the service manager called me a few days later to confirm my order and said that the relay kit and subharness are only needed if you want both the heated grips AND the accessory socket. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want the accessory socket, so if these items aren't needed for the grips I don't want them installed and don't want to pay for them.

Getting a refund out of the sales manager could be...challenging.

The Honda website lists four accessories related to the heated grips:

1 - the Heated Grips themselves
2 - the Heated Grips Attachment Kit
3 - the Relay Kit
4 - the Subharness

#2 says "Required for installation of Heated Grips."
#3 & #4 say "Required for Accessory Socket and Heated Grips."

I read this to mean that I need all four items to install the heated grips, and ordered them all from the sales manager when I bought my bike. But the service manager called me a few days later to confirm my order and said that the relay kit and subharness are only needed if you want both the heated grips AND the accessory socket. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want the accessory socket, so if these items aren't needed for the grips I don't want them installed and don't want to pay for them.

Getting a refund out of the sales manager could be...challenging.

Wrong! You need all of the items on the list whether you install the accessory socket or not.

AFAIK, you need the 4 items. The subharness and relay are needed to attach ANY accessory. The reason for the confusion could be that if you already have some accesory fitted, you would have already both the subharness and the relay. If this is not the case, you need the 4 items

Thanks for the info! So I had it right, he probably hasn't ordered all the parts he'll need, and my appointment tomorrow to have the grips installed is probably not going to go smoothly.

I too, did not want the OEM accessory socket, and figured I was being clever, having sorted out the minimal amount of gadgets and doodads prior to ordering my heated grips and (what I thought was) all the needed items.

Bzzzz :fail buzzer:

Nope. Steam was vented soon after receiving my grips and a look through the install booklet showed the little bast*rd missing bit.

And that was *after* I had the benefit of reading through various posts on this forum of kindly folks who had run into this glitch and warned of it. D'oh!

Question for those who have factory heated grips.. What does the control switch look like, is there one? I have looked at aftermarket heated grips and they have sort of bulky boxy contorls. All of the "pics" of the factory grips i have seen from sellers are a generic picture of the grips, the same generic picture they offer up for the relay, subharness, ect. I am pondering OEM heated grips, but I want to know exactly what i am buying, how it will fit and look.

I Googled "Honda heated grips" and got the exact product image:

1.jpg

Attachments

• Honda-VFR-Heated-grips.jpg
    Honda-VFR-Heated-grips.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,956
Question for those who have factory heated grips.. What does the control switch look like, is there one? I have looked at aftermarket heated grips and they have sort of bulky boxy contorls. All of the "pics" of the factory grips i have seen from sellers are a generic picture of the grips, the same generic picture they offer up for the relay, subharness, ect. I am pondering OEM heated grips, but I want to know exactly what i am buying, how it will fit and look.

The control switch it neatly integrated into the left grip. It is a single lighted pushbutton which sets three levels or off.

If you are toying around the idea of saving a few for after market vs. spending the extra buck for OEM heated grip. I would say go with the OEM. It is worth the money. I have used them and they integrated very nicely. Go for it!

Plus the Honda accessory grips are much hotter than most generic units. Almost too hot to hold on the highest setting.

--Marc @ Motorcyclist mag

I have looked at aftermarket heated grips and they have sort of bulky boxy contorls.

The control unit on the OEMs is unobtrusive, but the power cables, especially on the left grip, are a little annoying. I don't know how that compares to aftermarket heated grips though, as I've never had any

The control unit on the OEMs is unobtrusive, but the power cables, especially on the left grip, are a little annoying. I don't know how that compares to aftermarket heated grips though, as I've never had any

If the grip is rotated to the right orientation and the correct amount of slack is left there is no issue.

If the grip is rotated to the right orientation and the correct amount of slack is left there is no issue.

i'm the guy that broke his grip getting it rotated correctly:D Even with it placed just right, I still find it occasionally in the way. I do have big hands though, and with winter gloves on they're even bigger.

Thankyou everyone, exactly the information i was seeking. I will definatly be going with factory grips when the time comes, the power switch is much cleaner looking and I do not doubt for a second that the factory heated grips perform better than aftermarket.

I am looking into grips for this winter. I froze last winter on the bike. My new snowmobile has heated grips and I don't wear a glove on the left hand at all so I can wipe off the melted snow from the face shield.

So heated grips on the bike is a high priority this year. I am trying to decide the oem vs. the oxford and a pic of the power cables of your grips would be useful for me to see this for myself.

Thanks.

Im seriously considering heated grips. Plan to risd most of the winter. I was quoted $450 by the dealer for parts and install. I could most likely do it myself and may. When I was at the dealer this weekend he showed me a cheaper setup that was basically like shoving a piece of what looked like thick aluminum foil under the stock grips. The package came with the wiring, a switch, and relay. It was around $70 but the switch was a generic round thing you would have to find a spot to mount. The OEM setup looks much nicer.

Back