• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need helmet help.

Johninaz

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help, I have a new Shoei Neutek, the fit, quietness, and comfort is all great with one exception.

I wear hearing aids and referred to as profoundly hard of hearing ( read damn near deaf ), please just accept I don't want to take 6k worth of aids out every time I ride. So here's the rub, pun intended.

The connection to the speaker in the ear is rubbing on the helmet liner and it hurts after about 20 minutes or so. I am trying to figure out how to eliminate some of the padding in the helmet. In the past on cheaper helmets, I just used needle nose pliers and pulled out the foam in the offending area. I have thought I could do this again or possible sew over the area to collapse the foam. The reason I am asking for suggestions is there are some damned sharp folks here and someone might have a better idea.

Thank you taking the time to read this, I hope it makes sense.

There are small pads that fill the spaces by your ears that are used when you install speakers, they pull right out if I remember correctly.

Hi John
I to wear hearing aids in both ear.
I never wear them on the bike,if you got a little box a bit like ring box ,hard case.
just carry that in your pocket.
believe me you don't need to wear hearing aid while riding.
you dont need to hear all the noise around and also with your not being able to hear this will make you more alert and aware what going on around you.
even your almost deaf still wear ear plugs and save what you've got left.
if folks need to talk to you and get impatient or not willing to repeat,then they're not worth listening to.
I've never known what it is like to hear perfectly.

I too wear them, but they are of a type that is custom-formed to my ear/s. As they are digital, I can just turn them off, leaving me with reduced noise and built-in earplugs.

Grey1one, you are correct however the pad section just forward of the removable section is what is causing the issue.
Johnakay, I do have a case like you describe, but as bduffey said I wear a little necklace that allows me to shut down the outside microphones turning them into plugs. But I can still get music/phone calls. If I can work out the comfort issue I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks all for you thoughts.

Is it possible to take a utility knife and gently carve out that section on each side?
It sounds like you know exactly where they are rubbing at.
Is it the texture of the cushion causing the discomfort?
What about placing a small amount of tape over the cushion in that area.
But, it sounds to me like a little carving out might be in order.

Some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

Pictures of the hearing aid in your ear and pictures of the area inside the helmet might help in figuring out what can be done to help the problem. A Dremel with a burr tool might be able to grind away the dense foam on the inside of the helmet a little bit at a time. I just bought a Dremel tool set after putting off a purchase of one for 20 years so I'm no expert with the device.

Are we talking Shoei Neotec?

Shoei Cheek Pads for Neotec Helmets :: MotorcycleGear.com

John, have you considered replacing the cheek pads/ear pads with a thinner optional selection?

I don't know if they will make that much of a change right at the spot where you are having the discomfort, but it is a cheap experiment. At least you can hack away at a pair, while leaving the ones that came with your helmet unmolested, anyway. If that still is not enough, then ye olde Dremel tool or an X-Acto knife to whittle away the offending Styrofoam bits beneath, looks to be your only (careful) path.

I hacked a disc of foam out of my Icon Variant on each side ear pocket foam location, to fit in my Sena speakers.

Last edited:
Completely in the canal

Hi! I understand how difficult it is to put on helmet when you are with your hearing aid. I was also facing the same. I recently got my hearing aid replaced with the completely-in-the-canal from Hearing solutions, Toronto. It fits deeply inside the ear canal and is almost invisible. There's no inconvenience while wearing helmets now. Also my hearing has improved a lot to the extent that I can hear my neighbor playing piano.

Thanks for all the comments. I just bit the bullet and used a exacto knife and needle nose pliers to remove a little foam and all is good now. Steve a cant use CIC type aids, as my hearing loss dictates greater gain the the smaller aids can provide darn it.

Back