• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel gauge/sender issue

Loomis

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've had an issue 3 times now, this time finally biting me. Sometimes the gauge sticks on the second to last bar (bar before the reserve flash).

I've noticed that if I ride pretty conservatively, (<75) it's been fine, but if I am cruising at speeds of 80 and up the gauge sometimes sticks, and always at that level.

Any thoughts? I wonder if the sender is at just the right spot to hit the return stream and at 4k rpm is enough flow to prevent it from dropping?

I am not sure about how the gauge actually works but is has happened to me also. When it does start to flash at around 180 miles on my trip odometer. I am usually looking for gas within the next 20 miles. I know I have plenty of gas left but I I use the flashing bar as a signal to just stop and fill her up.

I guess I didn't make that clear enough. It ran out of fuel, and the reserve light never even came on. It was still at 2 bars when it ran out.

I better take it to the shop and trade it in on an HD huh? ;)

To me if it truely was not related to a defective part, and was something one just learns to live with. I would learn to pay more attention to the odometer verses the fuel guage. You have to always consider the odometer so you don't pass up that gas station you needed to stop at.

The new HD's have "idiot" lights also. Had a sportster just a while back and it had a lot of character. I feel the same about the NC.

Oh, and sounds like you may have a sensor problem.

Art

I guess I didn't make that clear enough. It ran out of fuel, and the reserve light never even came on. It was still at 2 bars when it ran out.

Thanks for helping clarify yourself. Yes, That is a problem!

As Oldenuf stated about using the odometer as a fueling gauge. I did the same on all my bikes that I have owned. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and yes the Harley's too. Maybe it is time for me to try a Victory. :confused:

I would use the odometer until you can get your problem fixed. Good luck!!

Last edited:

How about the 883 Iron? :cool:

4257f3450a0d02b70125b7509d7a8dd1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problem. it really sucks to be in a position where you can't trust a gauge or indicator to work. You may be able to get the sensor/pump replaced under warranty if you can duplicate the problem at your dealer. Maybe if you tried siphoning the gas while watching the indicator? In the meantime, the odometer trip meter is definitely going to be your friend.

Hope you get it resolved,

Bob

Thanks for the replies.

My trip odometer B gets reset every fuel up so I can report to Fuelly, so I knew I was close. I definitely pay a ton of attention to that.

I have the 5 year, so hopefully they would cover it. I just think its weird that it only does it if I'm riding at higher freeway speeds.

Bob, that thing looks cool, but my ego would make me get at least a 1200. :D

Forget the HD. Terrible suspension, and I mean terrible. HD wants that cool look of super low so suspension only good for about 2 inches.
I kept the 883 10 months and traded in on a Suzuki DR650, and now have the NC. Great riding position of the DR, and the rest of the package a "standard", Not sure if they use that term anymore. I feel like Honda finally built a motorcycle just for me.

So what was your odometer showing when you ran out? I don't trust the fuel gauge on any new machine until I see what kind of miles I rack up with several rides, some pushing it and some taking it easy, figuring out how many miles the division lights represent. Have to say there is no place that I ride 80+. It is all rural highway with more than average traffic police here. I would bet the 80+ has a lot to do with it not functioning. Could be a restrictive fuel filter or something like that.

Let us know what the Honda dealer comes up with.

Art

Thanks for the replies.

My trip odometer B gets reset every fuel up so I can report to Fuelly, so I knew I was close. I definitely pay a ton of attention to that.

I have the 5 year, so hopefully they would cover it. I just think its weird that it only does it if I'm riding at higher freeway speeds.

Bob, that thing looks cool, but my ego would make me get at least a 1200. :D

I was afraid the 1200 might be too much for you. lol : )

40.jpg

If I'm worried about running out of fuel, I will put this in the not tank.
View attachment 1416
MSR Fuel Bottle with CRP Cap - 30 fl. oz. at REI.com

Indeed.

With my '09 F800ST, the fuel gauge computer was utterly untrustworthy. After running out of fuel with the $$$ computer cheerfully telling me I had 47 miles worth of fuel left, (first time I've ever run out of fuel in my entire life) I abandoned the damned high tech option I spent so much money for, and went to the old tripmeter method.

Annnd promptly ran out of fuel again! With that bike I could have wildly variable fuel economy, one tank at 65 mpg and another at 31 mpg! So not being able to trust either the computer or what I was going to see out of a tank's worth via tripmeter (Oh, and later I discovered that the "16 litre" tank was in fact, only 13.5 litres!!! but that's another story) I was positively bristling with gas containers for every trip lol.

Eventually I got a Rotopax 1 gallon container as well, and mounted it on one of their L brackets, attached to the rear luggage rack. I will be duplicating this as close as possible on my NCX, it's just too handy! (Rotopax not shown in this picture)

Last edited:
Seabee Bob is correct! Harleys don't have problems with sticking fuel sensors. I had a 2009 XR1200 Sportster and I don't think I ever had a problem with the low fuel light malfunctioning. I can't be sure though since most of the time it was vibrating so bad I couldn't see the light anyway.

Bob

Forget the HD. Terrible suspension, and I mean terrible. HD wants that cool look of super low so suspension only good for about 2 inches.
I kept the 883 10 months and traded in on a Suzuki DR650, and now have the NC. Great riding position of the DR, and the rest of the package a "standard", Not sure if they use that term anymore. I feel like Honda finally built a motorcycle just for me.

So what was your odometer showing when you ran out? I don't trust the fuel gauge on any new machine until I see what kind of miles I rack up with several rides, some pushing it and some taking it easy, figuring out how many miles the division lights represent. Have to say there is no place that I ride 80+. It is all rural highway with more than average traffic police here. I would bet the 80+ has a lot to do with it not functioning. Could be a restrictive fuel filter or something like that.

Let us know what the Honda dealer comes up with.

Art

Odometer was at 217.3 when I ran out. For an average of 59.4 mpg. Actually it ran out at 217, and I coasted the .3 haha. I have the bars at a pretty specific science, but thats if I stay an a certain speed. My speed is rather variable during my commute on the super slab.

The Harley stuff is great. Thanks for keeping it all friendly.

Back