• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Return to the Land of the Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to get This out early as folks are planning their calendars.

The weekend before the Memorial weekend, May 19-22 motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding. In the past, someone has always taken on the task of producing a T-shirt. I'm not sure that will happen this year.

Basics...We stay at the Kickstand Lodge on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground
Its a simple place, she (Mo) has a handful of cabins and tents for rent. They are basic affairs. Call early to reserve. The cabins have linens.
You can also bring your own tent.
She supplies towels for the bathhouse and there is a washer and dryer available in case you dirty your undies on a screaming curve.
Dinner is cooked and served for a small donation ($10) Cold beverages are also available for rental. Breakfast is also served for a small donation ($5) if one of us gets up and cooks it. Usually someone does.
Small groups usually form and set out on their own rides. Four is a nice size for a group. Lunch is found somewhere on the road.
The obligatory rides are of course, The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Parkway. This makes a nice loop. Get your Dragon sticker at the beginning. Twenty eight over through Fontana to the beginning of the Dragon is really fun.
Twenty eight (hellbender) down to Highlands is nice. Stop at all of the waterfalls. There are also great loops off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The fried pie run down to Blue Ridge, Georgia is also popular.
There are a lot of good roads down in North Georgia.
There is more riding than you can do in a weekend.
Other roads, Joe Brown Highway, 68, Tilley road, Warwoman, 107, Wayah Road, Cullowhee Mountain Road, 197, 215, 281, 276.
The best deal is to come in on Thursday...run the dragon Friday morning before it fills up with the fools, get your picture, sticker and check that one off the list. Leave Sunday or Monday. Expect to get wet. It always rains some...last year some of us got drenched and others saw nothing but sunshine.

We generally sit around in the evening with beverages, a fire, and tell lies etc.

Usually someone crashes and usually it is a rookie. My first year...it was me.

Some guys trailer their bikes, some ride in. Trailers are nice to go get the crashed guys bike.

I hope some of you join us. I'll post more information later. Feel free to ask any question.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-HxunF52H9vzJKrGBtAq9FxtP1KIoyNgz3tl4pG_Ek8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
This sounds great, dr, and it would be a great time of year to go. This could be a rebirth of our annual Southern Get Together, which last time had a total of two riders. What kind of attendance do you typically see at Kickstand?

Last edited:
This started with Nighthawk riders. We've had 40 down to about 10. I know of 4 or 5 that have already said they will,go. I will post this on the Nighthawk site and another guy said he was posting on the VFR,site.

If you've not ridden this part of the country, this is a great opportunity to do it with people who have some experience with these roads. I am a "relaxed" rider and take my time, others are more spirited. Of the group of old men I ride with, there is an ST1100, an XT250, a 750 Nighthawk, a 650Nighthawk and my NC. Two years ago I took a DR650. Great twisty motorcycle.

I know the iron horse is more plush, but we love Mo. She owns kickstand and if you go there once, she will always remember your name. I just like the vibe.

For those who enjoy wildlife AND paved "off road" trails....

Go see a ton of Wildlife in Cades Cove then ride Parsons Branch back to Hwy 129. Its one way only...and a BLAST. Perfect for the NCX.

"Wheels through Time" is out that way too...well worth a day trip.

Ah....I just found one pic on mine photobucket while on Parsons Branch. Just not on a bike.

DSC04478_zps359e12ba.jpg

Last edited:
Oohhh, I forgot about Parsons Branch, I need to do that this year. There is also river road off of the Cherohala. I rode the gravelhala route on my DR a couple of years ago. I'd love to go exploring up in there. If it is dry, would not be too bad on street tires.

Middle of May is almost always claimed by another event and this year is no different. I wish I could do both but I'll be attending an event in PA that weekend.

For those who enjoy wildlife AND paved "off road" trails....

Go see a ton of Wildlife in Cades Cove then ride Parsons Branch back to Hwy 129. Its one way only...and a BLAST. Perfect for the NCX.

"Wheels through Time" is out that way too...well worth a day trip.

Ah....I just found one pic on mine photobucket while on Parsons Branch. Just not on a bike.

DSC04478_zps359e12ba.jpg

Rode it with 670cc back in 2013. I think they grade it in early spring so it wasn't a problem on stock tires. Was my first time on gravel and hooked me on taking the NC off-road.

What's cool is that the end of Parsons Branch Rd dumps you out smack in the middle of one of the 318 curves on the Dragon.

Other gravel roads in the Smoky Park are Rich Mtn road and Balsam Mtn Road. Balsam Mtn is accessed from the Blue Ridge Parkway and dumps you back out down by the Park south entrance. There's still another gravel road that runs along the east side of the park but I don't know that it has a name.

What's cool is that the end of Parsons Branch Rd dumps you out smack in the middle of one of the 318 curves on the Dragon.

Other gravel roads in the Smoky Park are Rich Mtn road and Balsam Mtn Road. Balsam Mtn is accessed from the Blue Ridge Parkway and dumps you back out down by the Park south entrance. There's still another gravel road that runs along the east side of the park but I don't know that it has a name.
A cool gravel road gets you from Burnsville to Craggy Gardens on the BRP. It climbs about 2000 feet.

Now I'm mapping routes from Salt Lake to KSL. 1800+ miles each way. That could be one hell of an adventure...

Now I'm mapping routes from Salt Lake to KSL. 1800+ miles each way. That could be one hell of an adventure...

You could ride some great roads on the way. 160 in Missouri is supposed to be good. I'm actually looking at coming out your way in June.

I added a link to a sign up to the first post. If we get enough folks, I'll see about getting some T-shirts done.

My brother still has a Nighthawk. I am sure he has been to numerous of thier gatherings over the years.
My two boys and I plan to be there in May - if I can be sure of getting a U-Haul that will carry all three NCs. Have not filled in the form yet. Soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back