• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New jacket review Fly Terra Trek 4

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
Took my brand new Fly Racing Terra Trek 4 jacket on a 2 hour ride today. Conditions were dry but overcast and 46 f. The Trek 4 is a 3/4 length sport touring riding style jacket similar to the Olympia Dakar or Ranger.

What this jacket is: a great deal. For under 200$ it is a solid comfortable performer with lots of pockets and a nice liner. It's also extremely bright it hi viz. also oversized. Get a size smaller than you need. You won't regret it.

What it isn't: a true 4 season jacket. I got a bit chilled on the top half the ride home. I wouldn't want to push this past low 40s or upper 30s without additional under layers.

Overall initial impressions are a 4.5/5. Half point lost due to ordering the wrong size and I was hoping it would be warmer. However it is a snazzy look, awesome functionality with a great price tag for those on a budget. The armor feels good and stays just where it ought. There are more pockets on this thing than I know what to do with. It is a great jacket. I purchased mine from Revzilla because it was on special but find yours where you can!

I also bought a hi viz Terra Trek 4 in September of this year. Almost 4K miles later I love it. Cool enough in 90+ degrees because of the excellent chest, shoulder and back vents (and elastic pull to hold open the chest vents), lots of pockets, good armor (I did upgrade the regular back pad with an Icon D3O that fit right out of the bag).

Washed it once a couple weeks ago ... just took out the armor and put it in the washer on "delicate." Put it in the dryer on "air fluff" (no heat) and then hung it. Work perfectly. In cold weather I really don't use the liner (I wear a fleece and base layers for warmth), but it's fine and toasty (was on the Blue Ridge Pkwy in 30 degrees and was fine).

For the price, this jacket is hard to beat. It's easily a good 3 season jacket, and maybe all Summer depending on how you ride.

Thank you both for the nice, well articulated reviews and findings. It's really helpful to gain insight into these things before purchasing. :cool:

I should add the jacket has really nice side adjustments at the waist so you can tighten it down (more form fitting) when it's warm and you only have a T-shirt underneath, or let it out when you have layers on for cold (and look like Ralphie's brother [emoji6]).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. I'm torn between this and the Joe Rocket Revolution. Is this easy or difficult to throw a raincoat over? I ask because I like to wear my Nelson-Rigg Storm jacket over any current jacket for any unusual weather, cold.

Thanks for the review. I'm torn between this and the Joe Rocket Revolution. Is this easy or difficult to throw a raincoat over? I ask because I like to wear my Nelson-Rigg Storm jacket over any current jacket for any unusual weather, cold.

I wouldn't say this is easy to throw a rain coat over, but I also don't think you would need to. The jacket is waterproof (so they say, not yet tested) and relatively warm (tested with an sweatshirt underneath down to low 30's). The fit and function of this jacket is awesome. I would say you'd likely get better jacket for your dollar with this rather than the Joe Rocket which is more brand recognition.

I actually use a Nelson Rigg rain jacket/pants with the Terra Trek 4 and it was easy to put the rain jacket over this one. The Terra Trek is water resistant, I'd say, but in a real rain I found the Nelson Riggs to be a good rain protection.

I got one day of riding on the Hi-Viz and I like it more than i expected. Buying a Medium even at a Large on the chart this works well as suggested here and some other reviews. It looks badass in person and the armor stays put better than any mesh Jacket i own. I upgraded the back pad to a Joe Rocket insert (which unfortunately makes my back sweat in that spot). I plan on having the wife sew one piece of reflective material on the back - it needs more on the back IMHO.

About my only complaint is the front seems low cut so when i sit on the bike it balloons up like i have a pillow in there - this kind of screws up the large front vents. Anyway I have never seen vents that high on shoulders before, when you reach forward they open up. I will go back to stock windshield when it starts getting real hot and this should work well

I got one day of riding on the Hi-Viz and I like it more than i expected. Buying a Medium even at a Large on the chart this works well as suggested here and some other reviews. It looks badass in person and the armor stays put better than any mesh Jacket i own. I upgraded the back pad to a Joe Rocket insert (which unfortunately makes my back sweat in that spot). I plan on having the wife sew one piece of reflective material on the back - it needs more on the back IMHO.

About my only complaint is the front seems low cut so when i sit on the bike it balloons up like i have a pillow in there - this kind of screws up the large front vents. Anyway I have never seen vents that high on shoulders before, when you reach forward they open up. I will go back to stock windshield when it starts getting real hot and this should work well

Don't forget the vent opening drawstrings in the front pockets that pull the two chest vents open, and the Velcro tabs on the rear shoulder vents to hold those open for exhaust venting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back