• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda VFR1200X

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am really thinking about looking into getting this bike. Of course that depends on price and a test ride. But from what I have seen there is much I like.

2016-honda-vfr1200x-adventure.jpg
I could not get a price from the dealer yet and bikes won't be here until March of next year at the soonest.

I'm dreading this one. I work for a Honda dealer and last spring I bought a 2014 700x after I pulled it out of the crate, built it and test rode it. This one looks like everything I like about the NC700X plus A LOT MORE POWER.

We have this bike (previous version) for many years here, DCT version too. It is great bike for long range rides with little offroading. But it has some disadvantages comapred with NC:
spoked wheels - spokes need adjusting (btw it has tubeless tires which is great)
it has high COG
it has high seat height
it had problems with shaft drive, hope new version fixes it
it is very heavy for "enduro" usage and daily commuting
its V4 eats too much fuel for everyday use
it cost way more NC and still requires a lot of mods to do

Last edited:
While I was at the IMS in Long Beach this last Saturday, I was only able to get this couple of pics of the Crosstourer. The crowds were insane around the Honda Camp.

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

The bike is taller than the NC and would rule the bike out for many. For me it is not as tall as my Xr650L which is no problem for me. Since the bike has been out everywhere but the U.S. there is a lot of utube videos and reviews of earlier years. While the mileage is not as good, the bikes range per tank is about the same. Compared to other bikes in its class it has positives and negatives. While the bike has spoked rims they are tubeless. Spoked rims are much stronger than cast and with the weight of this monster that is a plus. It only has 127hp which is low compared to many 1200s. ABS and traction control with longer legs is nice. Six speed transmission matched with that engine is like riding an automatic once moving. The picture shown is the DCT model, for those that prefer it.

I only started looking at this model after checking out the CRF1000L. While there is much to like about the 1000, for the riding I would use it for the 1200 would be a better choice, on paper anyway. I am not comparing the bike to the NC. The NC is in a class of it's own. And what makes the NC stand out is much different compared to the VFR. What I love about the NC I would trade for what I think I might love about the VFR. I am just thinking out loud. I have not decided yet, but I am leaning in that direction.

I loved the motor in my FJR, but I hated the riding position. After 200 miles I have had enough. The VFR four cylinder motor and shaft drive if anything like the FJR would be very appealing to me. That coupled with the upright seating position might make this a bike I can ride all day in comfort. Which is one of the things I like so much about the NC.

2016-Honda-VFR1200X-front.jpg

The bike is taller than the NC and would rule the bike out for many. For me it is not as tall as my Xr650L which is no problem for me. Since the bike has been out everywhere but the U.S. there is a lot of utube videos and reviews of earlier years. While the mileage is not as good, the bikes range per tank is about the same. Compared to other bikes in its class it has positives and negatives. While the bike has spoked rims they are tubeless. Spoked rims are much stronger than cast and with the weight of this monster that is a plus. It only has 127hp which is low compared to many 1200s. ABS and traction control with longer legs is nice. Six speed transmission matched with that engine is like riding an automatic once moving. The picture shown is the DCT model, for those that prefer it.

I only started looking at this model after checking out the CRF1000L. While there is much to like about the 1000, for the riding I would use it for the 1200 would be a better choice, on paper anyway. I am not comparing the bike to the NC. The NC is in a class of it's own. And what makes the NC stand out is much different compared to the VFR. What I love about the NC I would trade for what I think I might love about the VFR. I am just thinking out loud. I have not decided yet, but I am leaning in that direction.

I loved the motor in my FJR, but I hated the riding position. After 200 miles I have had enough. The VFR four cylinder motor and shaft drive if anything like the FJR would be very appealing to me. That coupled with the upright seating position might make this a bike I can ride all day in comfort. Which is one of the things I like so much about the NC.

View attachment 27615
The riding dynamics, power, and ergos are similar to the ST1300 albeit about 100 lbs lighter and the state of tune of the 1237 cc motor in the X is very similar to the 1261 cc ST1300 motor - the area under the curves of horsepower and torque are nearly identical. Honda's V4s are really good road engines with plenty of usable low and mid range torque. I was really interested in the 1200X when it came out 5 years ago but the time has passed for me to replace my ST1300 with this bike. I'd like 100 lbs less weight of course but for the use I'd put it to I can't separate it far enough from the paid-for reliable ST in my garage.

The riding dynamics, power, and ergos are similar to the ST1300 albeit about 100 lbs lighter and the state of tune of the 1237 cc motor in the X is very similar to the 1261 cc ST1300 motor - the area under the curves of horsepower and torque are nearly identical. Honda's V4s are really good road engines with plenty of usable low and mid range torque. I was really interested in the 1200X when it came out 5 years ago but the time has passed for me to replace my ST1300 with this bike. I'd like 100 lbs less weight of course but for the use I'd put it to I can't separate it far enough from the paid-for reliable ST in my garage.

That puts one in the plus column. If The VFR shares the qualities of the ST and 100 pounds lighter, that is very good. I must admit that the appearance of the bike is a factor.

I've been eyeing this as a possible upgrade for my wife's NCX. She's wanting to move up a little in displacement. Don't like the spoke wheels though but like the shaft drive and that it comes in a DCT model. Thinking about the 1200F too but I don't think she'd like the riding position. She may have to wait a bit though as I just got her a new truck (yeah she likes trucks) so my "vehicle" funds are a little anemic right now.

like the shaft drive
If shaftdrive is the same as in previous gen. of bike - do not buy it. Google vfr1200 and GMB GUN-45.
In short this thing:
01c998823f53dc1b6081d81930f7a63ccd.jpeg

Dies without giving a warning, maybe at 5000 miles maybe at 55000 miles and the reason still not clear, but the main cause is overheating coz of poor lubing design.
And the worst thing you can't replace it in the middle of nowhere like the you can do with the spare chain...

Last edited:
If shaftdrive is the same as in previous gen. of bike - do not buy it. Google vfr1200 and GMB GUN-45.
In short this thing:
01c998823f53dc1b6081d81930f7a63ccd.jpeg

Dies without giving a warning, maybe at 5000 miles maybe at 55000 miles and the reason still not clear, but the main cause is overheating coz of poor lubing design.
And the worst thing you can't replace it in the middle of nowhere like the you can do with the spare chain...

Thanks. Good to know and surprising as I've owned 2 previous Honda shaft drive bikes and the biggest thing to have to keep an eye on was the lube (moly paste) on the drive splines and even that was only when one did a tire change. Even then it was rarely an issue. Otherwise they were problem free. Will have to monitor the early adopters to see if problems persist. At best this would probably be a 2017 purchase if they're still selling them at that time. ;)

I have seen a suggestion on the related forum that this issue is to be addressed with a new part during the current month. There have been a few failures mentioned on there and most of them at 50/60,000 kms.

This bike seems to be compared most to the Super Tenere & the GS1200. Similar to or more power, less off-road cred. More down low torque than the other 1200 v-4's. I've been looking at European reviews. Not sure where it will be priced. Euro vs dollar hadn't turned into savings on BMW's. Someone is pocketing the difference.

From what I have found so far. It will be around $16000. No official price given yet. I guess I will have to wait until April to find out.

To bad that this model is having drive shaft problems. It does take the bike off the list if it is not fixed on the 2016. The NC does the job and won't replace it unless I find the right bike. Starting looking at the 2016 FJ9.

Back