• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Video of slow speed maneuvers on a DCT

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This bike is so easy to ride! Just before getting home this morning I recorded an extremely amateur video of circles and figure 8's on my bike. On other forums there is a lot of misinformation concerning handling a DCT equipped bike at speeds that "require" a clutch to maintain throttle control in the friction zone. This is not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbqgmTzwIU

In my experience, the DCT is way easier to control in technical off road slow situations than my Clutch Model bike. You have to be almost perfect with a clutch when in gnarly stuff but with the DCT you can just chug right along as slow or fast as you wish.

Great video showing the ease of the DCT and putting some ignorant rumor to rest.

Great video! I've really been thinking about the DCT when I need to up or downshift while standing on the pegs.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

curious what mode you were in (D or S)? I find D a bit wonky at very slow (parking lot) speeds as it will upshift before I need it to.

curious what mode you were in (D or S)? I find D a bit wonky at very slow (parking lot) speeds as it will upshift before I need it to.
I was in D. I know what you mean about wonky in D going slow but I was going under the 1 - 2 shift speed of maybe 10 mph. It never shifted to 2nd. In that situation of in switching back and forth between 1st - 2nd I would toggle to Manual to hold the gear I want.

Nice demonstration. I had been wondering about that. I wonder if there's an idling speed difference between the DCT and the X when the X is in first with no clutch feathering.

Three things:

way cool, I guess I need to go out and practice.

Nice to see another short legged rider. Gives me confidence.

I wanted to see the Areostich hiviz yellow. I'm considering a Darien Jacket this winter. Can't decide between the yellow for visibility or red to match the bike.

Would like to know if you were using the brake.
In D for me it can surge. Maybe I am not smooth enough with the throttle control? So I use a bit of throttle and the brake. Plus (as you saw with my bike) I sit about 5" higher so my CG makes it all a bit more tippy.

Would like to know if you were using the brake.
In D for me it can surge. Maybe I am not smooth enough with the throttle control? So I use a bit of throttle and the brake. Plus (as you saw with my bike) I sit about 5" higher so my CG makes it all a bit more tippy.
As you can see I'm short. My inseam is about 29". When I started riding my ST1300 nine years ago I was determined to be confident in parking lot and U turn situations with it as I was too short of leg to paddle the thing around. I practiced a lot.

The technique I use here is to drag the rear brake against a more or less steady throttle setting of maybe 1500-1800 rpm. I really don't know the rpm it's a feel sort of thing. The brake controls speed. If I get too slow I'll fall into the turn if I get too fast the turn opens up. I look where I want to go and the body has to lean to the outside of the turn to balance the lean of the bike to the inside. This works on any size & weight motorcycle once you learn the principles and when you master it you can get on any bike and within a few minutes be pretty confident at slow speed.

Try and practice a few minutes at the beginning or end of every ride and it will come.

Last edited:
I was in D. I know what you mean about wonky in D going slow but I was going under the 1 - 2 shift speed of maybe 10 mph. It never shifted to 2nd. In that situation of in switching back and forth between 1st - 2nd I would toggle to Manual to hold the gear I want.

Thanks for this video, I've been looking for a DCT bike in tight maneuvers. I wonder if the lean angle sensor located under the seat above the rear wheel has anything to do with how well the bike rolls at a low speed while leaned over.

Last edited:
Good work man.

I spent nearly 5 years riding a police motorcycle for a living and spent many-a-day doing what we call, "cone-work." Did it on a Harley, did it on a BMW, did it on a Suzuki, and I do it on my NC700 as well as my KTM. You are absolutely correct in the method and application; It can be done on anything (some better than others), and it is a handy skillset to have.

The only benefit the clutch would give you is the ability to maintain your speed as you are, without the use of the brake. There is a lot of argument in law enforcement riding circles as to whether or not one should use the brake while doing cone-work; But I personally think one should use all of the tools available to them, including the brake.

Good job, lookin good. Get that head around more though!!! :)

[..I wonder if the lean angle sensor located under the seat above the rear wheel has anything to do with how well the bike rolls at a low speed while leaned over...]

If you're talking about the Bank Angle Sensor, it only comes into play if the bike is dropped. It's not there to help with low speed, tight turns.

As you can see I'm short. My inseam is about 29". When I started riding my ST1300 nine years ago I was determined to be confident in parking lot and U turn situations with it as I was too short of leg to paddle the thing around. I practiced a lot.

The technique I use here is to drag the rear brake against a more or less steady throttle setting of maybe 1500-1800 rpm. I really don't know the rpm it's a feel sort of thing. The brake controls speed. If I get too slow I'll fall into the turn if I get too fast the turn opens up. I look where I want to go and the body has to lean to the outside of the turn to balance the lean of the bike to the inside. This works on any size & weight motorcycle once you learn the principles and when you master it you can get on any bike and within a few minutes be pretty confident at slow speed.

Try and practice a few minutes at the beginning or end of every ride and it will come.

Got it. Brake.
I rode about 250,000 miles years and years ago. I could move my biggest bikes around tight spots with ease.
Forward 20 years without any bike miles and I jumped (grin) on my DCT model after reading up on it. One thing I read about was using the rear brake in tight turning.
!!!!!
It makes it so much easier. If I had only known before. Like WOW MAN!!!

[..I wonder if the lean angle sensor located under the seat above the rear wheel has anything to do with how well the bike rolls at a low speed while leaned over...]

If you're talking about the Bank Angle Sensor, it only comes into play if the bike is dropped. It's not there to help with low speed, tight turns.

What does it do when the bike is dropped?

Dave's riding is awesome and the DCT is clearly up to the task as well.

I got to thinking though, that once the DCT is underway, the clutch would be fully engaged. There is no reason not to expect the bike to motor around at a slow speed without interference from the clutch or transmission. I would expect these same maneuvers can be done on a manual model, also without touching the clutch. I don't say this to diminish the DCT's capabilities, but rather to say a skilled rider like Dave can make these moves with or without the benefit of feathering a clutch, which is admirable.

Back