• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Lightweight

You're right, the owner’s manual makes no mention of adjusting the rear shock ring for a 2018. The rings are quite difficult to reach as there are at the top of the shock. What are you trying to accomplish, raising or lowering the rear of the bike? Some members here have written about doing sag adjustments, but I don’t remember and numbers or percentages they targeted.

If you are unhappy with the way the (cheap) stock shock bucks you off the seat on a sharp bump, the preload won’t fix it. Buy a better shock.
Actually, I can get my hands on the adjusting rings pretty easily. Could probably adjust them with a big long screwdriver and a hammer. Hoped that reducing the preload to minimum would soften the ride a bit.

Actually, I can get my hands on the adjusting rings pretty easily. Could probably adjust them with a big long screwdriver and a hammer. Hoped that reducing the preload to minimum would soften the ride a bit.
Reducing the “preload“ would just lower the rear of the bike, but the jolts may be the same, or even worse if you bottom the shock. I think the issue is the shock is over damped, and in particular cannot respond to the fast motion of sharp upward bumps. The stock spring is already pretty soft for my 170 pounds, and it sinks badly if you load the bike heavily with camping gear or a passenger. I now run an Ohlins rear shock and spring on my 2012 NCX. My stock shock blew or wore the seal and lost it’s oil at 29,000 miles. I actually like a soft, compliant, cushy ride but the stock shock could not deliver that.

But then if you are a lightweight, the stock spring may be just right for you. The shock is likely the source of your ride dissatisfaction.

Last edited:
That’s fair enough. It obviously works for you.
Interestingly, in the UK if you were unluckily enough to be involved in a road traffic accident, the Police would check your tyre pressures, amongst other safety items. If your pressures deviated significantly from manufacturer’s spec, then you could be prosecuted and/or your insurance revoked. Sobering thought.
Unfortunately, don't have contributory negligence statutes in place here like in EU when it comes to vehicles and speeding. Many here run overinflated tires to get more MPG at the expense of grip, resistance to hydroplaning, etc.

Of course the majority of Americans also consider themselves to have above average driving skills:

And even higher percentage consider their driving habits as excellent:

Back